Husqvarna YTH20K46: Will not turn over properly!

Shooter56

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Husqvarna YTH20K46 will not turn over properly have replaced the starter, solenoid and battery. Upon turning the key the solenoid pulls in, and starter engages flywheel. However, the flywheel only makes one revolution and stalls. The battery voltage is 12.5 volts and have the same at solenoid however upon trying to start voltage drops to 6-7 volts on cable at starter, all safety switches check good. Mower is doing the exact same thing now after changing parts as it was before. Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!..Shooter.. How many hrs are on the mower?

Shooter56

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased the mower in 2009 and it has 262 hours on it. Since last post I've verified a good ground of 0.00 ohms on my system at various points. I've removed the spark plug and it turns over freely, it's almost as if the compression is to strong to turn engine over. So I adjusted the valves and its still hard to turn. I really appreciate the response and hope you've got some ideas. Thanks in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't say what engine you have. If it is the briggs, and the valves are adjusted properly, you may be one of the people with the broken compression release mechanism on the camshaft.

Shooter56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for not identifying the engine, I have the Kohler Courage 20(SV-600). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Wish you all a Great Easter week-end!

TnHusky

Threads
Sorry for not identifying the engine, I have the Kohler Courage 20(SV-600). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Wish you all a Great Easter week-end!

Could it possibly be just a weak starter motor, brushes wore and not creating enough tq to spin it with the plugs in. Also check and make sure that the engine case bolts are tight that hold the block and pan together. Seems I remember reading where there were some problems with the single cylinder engines doing this. Not say'n this is your trouble but something you may want to check.

Shooter56

Forum Newbie
Threads
TnHusky,
Thanks for the reply I'll check out the later item about the pan and block bolts, however I've tried two different starters and still the same problem. If anyone has any more thoughts please advise. Thanks in advance!

Shooter56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally, think I have the issue corrected or at least know what the problem is. My mower has a hydro-static transmission and it seems it was not completely in the neutral position. Upon working with the return spring and linkage it started up and did for four consecutive times, hopefully now we can cut some grass.
I would like to say thanks for the response's and ideas, this truly is a great forum for the do it yourself types. I plan to frequent the site to continue learning and possibly help someone else. Again thanks to you all!

TnHusky

Threads
Finally, think I have the issue corrected or at least know what the problem is. My mower has a hydro-static transmission and it seems it was not completely in the neutral position. Upon working with the return spring and linkage it started up and did for four consecutive times, hopefully now we can cut some grass.
I would like to say thanks for the response's and ideas, this truly is a great forum for the do it yourself types. I plan to frequent the site to continue learning and possibly help someone else. Again thanks to you all!

Glad you got it worked out Shooter!! Now if I just hadn't put that 19-19-19 on my yard. :laughing:

1boomer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad you got it worked out Shooter!! Now if I just hadn't put that 19-19-19 on my yard. :laughing:
I hope you have fixed the problem with the position of the transmission shifter. However, if this happens again it may be that the valves need to be adjusted. if they are in need of adjustment it makes if difficult to turn over when the engine in on top dead center. FYI...
1boomer