zero-turn mower

biggrey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at the ferris is500, a toro titan and a z hustler. I have heard to stay away fron b&g motors. The ferris comes with that motor. The toro comes with the kohler engine but has integrated pump and motor for the driving wheels. I believe the hustler has a kawasaki engine and a zt 3100 pump system. Each of these mowers are about $5,000 so any input would be welcomed. I am not using for commercial use.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you will enjoy any one of your group...
Just from my experience with hustler... I'd lean toward it...

BUT I would get the super Z, and it would be the diesel super Z... with the springer front wheels... that is a mower that lizard would like ... great handling, perfect cut and VERY FAST... you can mow at 15 mph... (if you wanted)...

I most likely would put the Ferris in runner up place... :smile:KennyV

Ifixdit

Threads
My best experience with a zero-turn is the one my dad owns by Kubota. He has several acres to mow and his mower is a beast. He's had one for three years now and has never had a single problem. The built in system for raising the deck to change the mower blades was impressive. On a smaller and more affordable scale, a Bad Boy is a very respectable mower as well.

173abn

Threads
I agree with Ifixdit.I think bad boys are under rated.You can get one with the cat diesel for something like $10,000.TSC in Topeka sells two models now and the higher end one goes for somewhere around $4,000 and was in the commerical grade class.Nice mower for the money.I was watching pro bull riding last Sun. and saw their commericals. russ

Berniep

Threads
I am looking at the ferris is500, a toro titan and a z hustler. I have heard to stay away fron b&g motors. The ferris comes with that motor. The toro comes with the kohler engine but has integrated pump and motor for the driving wheels. I believe the hustler has a kawasaki engine and a zt 3100 pump system. Each of these mowers are about $5,000 so any input would be welcomed. I am not using for commercial use.
As far as motors go I think you were trying to say B&S for Briggs and Stratton. Pretty much any motor now days is a good one. Any can have problems as they are mechanical devices and subject to failures.
Try to drive them all and make sure you adjust or have them adjust the control arms to fit you. Buy the one that feels the best, and fits you the best. It will make a huge difference in the years ahead if you are comfortable on it.

CurtisG

Forum Newbie
Threads
My ZTR is a Ferris IS1500Z that came with a Kawasaki 21hp engine, in my opinion a better engine than the B&S. I also have owned a Dixie Chopper that had a Kohler engine that was very dependable. No problems with either one.

Berniep

Threads
My ZTR is a Ferris IS1500Z that came with a Kawasaki 21hp engine, in my opinion a better engine than the B&S. I also have owned a Dixie Chopper that had a Kohler engine that was very dependable. No problems with either one.

I get to talk to mower dealers quite a bit while delivering their mowers.
It seems that Briggs might have had few problems for a couple of years but the new ones have fewer problems than the Kawasaki in my limited and completely unscientific polling. It lead me to buy a Ferris is2000 with a briggs 30 horse big block.
I was favoring the Kawasaki but after three dealers told me the same thing I changed my mind.

CompactTractorFan

Threads
My best experience with a zero-turn is the one my dad owns by Kubota. He has several acres to mow and his mower is a beast. He's had one for three years now and has never had a single problem. The built in system for raising the deck to change the mower blades was impressive. On a smaller and more affordable scale, a Bad Boy is a very respectable mower as well.

Those Kubota's do like like nice units...Do you know if it's a diesel?

Ifixdit

Threads
Yes. It is a diesel. Nice, nice mower!!