Briggs 310000 series oil filter?

Rumrunner

Threads
I'm lost. To my understanding after reading my Briggs engine manual, Troy-Bilt Pony riding mower manual, and my own observation, certain Briggs & Stratton 310000 series engines don't have an oil filter. Is this correct? Well, it HAS to be since mine doesn't have one.

Now, understand, this mower is several years (or Lord knows how many) old. It was sitting in the garage, neglected and un-running when I moved in to my home. I just got it running, and it runs just fine. However, the oil is black as Guinness beer, and about as thin too. I imagine the previous neglectors never changed the oil. That's my purpose this week, but I'm puzzled about the oil filter, or lack thereof.

I guess my main question is this. Why would these machines not have an oil filter? Is there anything which cleans/conditions the oil to protect the engine from unwanted particles? Is this merely a "disposable" engine? I've had one other B&S in my life and it was definitely a disposable thing. I've been a two-cycle Lawn Boy guy my life and my newest is 14 years old, on track for a 24 year old life. But this is my first riding mower and I want to take care of it. What protects the oil/engine in lieu of a filter? an internal setup? How do I ensure a long life?

Thanks folks, I appreciate it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The big box stores buy units with engines without oil filters to keep the costs down. Your best bet is to change the oil every 50 hours or at least once a season.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like Rivets said, the box stores manufacturers dry to save a dime. Some of the engines have a cap on the side that looks like were an oil filter would go. You can remove that cap, get the pipe nipple that briggs uses to attach the oil filter and then screw on an oil filter.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like Rivets said, the box stores manufacturers dry to save a dime. Some of the engines have a cap on the side that looks like were an oil filter would go. You can remove that cap, get the pipe nipple that briggs uses to attach the oil filter and then screw on an oil filter.

Did not know this. Thanks for the info

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Threads
I had an older L-head Briggs 17.5, and it didnt have a filter either I justed changed the oil every 40 to 50 hrs. You should be able to add on an oil filter plate though.

Threads
I checked they call it an oil filter adapter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of the engines have an oil pump with a bypass cap installed, but are still a splash lube engine. Others were splash lube only. The oil filter mating surface is machined into the oil pan (sump) with the engines with the cam driven oil pump. All you need to convert those to an oil filter is the pipe nipple, which is about 1 1/2 long.

possum

Threads
Just change the oil more often and do not worry about it.

Rumrunner

Threads
Just change the oil more often and do not worry about it.

I just did. I suspect it never has been changed before by looking at the drain plug. Seriously, it had zero tool marks and judging by the rest of the machine, the prior neglector wasn't mechanically inclined. You can "Just tell," you know. So, it had a fine day at the spa.

Thanks all.