Blades Mulching kit

schmidtsm

Threads
Hello I have a grasshopper 220 with the mulching kit. I am wondering if the decrease in power has to do with my speed and the mulching kit. I am wondering what other peoples experience has been using the mulching mulching kit with a 20 horse grasshopper? When I bought the mower at the end of last season the guy told me that the carburetor would need to be adjusted. I am wondering if that is really what needs to be done. What is everyone's thoughts concerning the mulching kit? Thanks Shane

Threads
It might just be me but I pulled that mulching crap out chucked in the dumpster, and never looked back. I throw the grass, or bag it mulching is a pita, and alot more burden on your engine.

schmidtsm

Threads
Jones, do you have a 20hp? Or is it just in general the mulching kits put too much stress and the engine?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A properly setup mulching kit, installed on good equipment, does not put any extra stress on the engine. I should add that the operator must maintain and keep it clean.

schmidtsm

Threads
How do I maintain it? I understand keeping it clean and I thought that was maintaining it. Maybe I need to do something else? Let me know thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cleaning is the best way to maintain it. Also, using the right type of mulching blades and keeping them sharp. Biggest miss use of the mulching system, is cutting wet.

HarryHarley

Threads
It might just be me but I pulled that mulching crap out chucked in the dumpster, and never looked back. I throw the grass, or bag it mulching is a pita, and alot more burden on your engine.

I totally AGREE!

PTWhopper

Threads
I purchased a low-time one-owner 723K T2 Feb2014. This is my first full season of mowing on our new residence. The first partial season I mowed with borrowed and demo ZTR's.

I hauled away tons of leaves from my 2.5 acres after that first partial season. I was preparing to do the same this past fall when I decided to give the mulching kit a try. I didn't notice any difference in performance with the kit installed even though I was cutting tall grass to an end-of-season height and on top of that I had a full carpet of maple leaf coverage. I didn't haul a single leaf to the county brush pile, the lawn looked great, and my treeless neighbor was very happy.

NOTE: the mulching blades had never been used, the 52" power-lift deck is always maintained by-the-book/spotless after every mowing, and I never mow damp/wet grass.

I hope we have a dryer 2015 so I can test a full season of mulching. I should be able to spend less money on weeding and feeding.

Denny