repairing ball joint

Crazy Lady

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 1985 diesel cub cadet (red). The ball joint has broken. It looks so easy to fix, but I'm a woman with very little experience. I was told to remove the cotter pin and loosen the lock nut. I cannot get the nut to loosen. Is this the only nut that needs to be loosen. Also, to loosen is it counter clockwise. I know some machines you turn the opposite. Help!

Threads
I have an 1985 diesel cub cadet (red). The ball joint has broken. It looks so easy to fix, but I'm a woman with very little experience. I was told to remove the cotter pin and loosen the lock nut. I cannot get the nut to loosen. Is this the only nut that needs to be loosen. Also, to loosen is it counter clockwise. I know some machines you turn the opposite. Help!

I am not sure it could be left hand threads but most likely it is just siezed up from bieng on there so long. Right tight, left loose is the easy way I remember. If the ball joint has come out the socket is most likely worn out. Sorry I almost forgot. Welcome to the Forum!..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is counterclockwise. You will need two wrenches to remove, one on top and one underneath. They can be very tight. When you get the nut off, count the number of revalutions it takes to remove the joint from the shaft. You will need to install the new one with the same number of revalutions. New ball joints come in both left and right hand threads. Make sure you get the correct one for you unit. If you need more info post back.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I am going to assume you are talking about a 782D? And by ball joint you mean tie rod end, because the front axles on these use king pins. Anyway, to replace the tie rod end it just unscrews lefty loosey off the tie rod. I put a diagram off of a parts website that you can look at. The tire rod end that you are replacing is number 4 and the tie rod that it is unscrewing off of is number 5.

I do not own a service manual for your tractor so I am making assumptions as to how it all is put together, the best I got was that parts diagram. If it is giving you a hard time getting it off, spray some penetrating oil (wd-40, pb blaster) in the tie rod end threads where it goes over the tire rod. Otherwise I would just say you are probably not using enough force, it is an old tractor that may have some corrosion that will make it not come off nicely. Another thing you can do i heat up the end of the tie rod end with a propane torch to facilitate getting it off.

Another thing you can do to get more leverage on the wrench is to interlock another wrench onto the end of the one you are using to make it twice as long, or you can put a pipe over it. If you were to round off the space where you put the wrench, use a pipe wrench. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

dispdiagram.gif

Crazy Lady

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am going to assume you are talking about a 782D? And by ball joint you mean tie rod end, because the front axles on these use king pins. Anyway, to replace the tie rod end it just unscrews lefty loosey off the tie rod. I put a diagram off of a parts website that you can look at. The tire rod end that you are replacing is number 4 and the tie rod that it is unscrewing off of is number 5.

I do not own a service manual for your tractor so I am making assumptions as to how it all is put together, the best I got was that parts diagram. If it is giving you a hard time getting it off, spray some penetrating oil (wd-40, pb blaster) in the tie rod end threads where it goes over the tire rod. Otherwise I would just say you are probably not using enough force, it is an old tractor that may have some corrosion that will make it not come off nicely. Another thing you can do i heat up the end of the tie rod end with a propane torch to facilitate getting it off.

Another thing you can do to get more leverage on the wrench is to interlock another wrench onto the end of the one you are using to make it twice as long, or you can put a pipe over it. If you were to round off the space where you put the wrench, use a pipe wrench. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

View attachment 13243

"It is a 782D. After I remove the carter pin, will that part slip off. I have tried to loosen the tie rod, but it seems that I am also loosening the other end of the tie rod. I guess I need to use two wrenches. You have gone to a lot of trouble for me and I appreciate it. Also thanks for the diagram. Would you happen to know the Parts # for this? That may be asking too much!"

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
"It is a 782D. After I remove the carter pin, will that part slip off. I have tried to loosen the tie rod, but it seems that I am also loosening the other end of the tie rod. I guess I need to use two wrenches. You have gone to a lot of trouble for

me and I appreciate it. Also thanks for the diagram. Would you happen to kno:licking:w the Parts # for this? That may be asking too much!"

Part #
723-3000
Hey Rivets!
Good Job! Very helpful.
Crazy Lady
If you can get the tie rod out, take it to a repair shop and they should be able to get the end off and replace.
Shouldn't cost too much and might be faster than finding it yourself and repairing.