repairing ball joint

crazyoldtractor

Threads
After removing the cotter pin you will need to then remove the nut that is on the stud which the cotter pin goes through. In other words the cotter pin is there to make sure if that bolt ever comes loose it won't totally come off so you will never loose you're steering, but in your case the joint wore so much that the ball joint separated into two so that safety feature didn't help out much there. And also you are correct; you do need to use two wrenches in order to get the tie rod end off of the tire rod. I wish you luck, when you get the job done, you will feel very accomplished so keep going at it. Ask someone to give you a hand too, your neighbor or someone you know that is also mechanically inclined, im sure they'd be happy to give you a hand. You can buy the part here, its number 4, $13.

Parts and Diagrams for Cub Cadet 782D

Crazy Lady

Forum Newbie
Threads
After removing the cotter pin you will need to then remove the nut that is on the stud which the cotter pin goes through. In other words the cotter pin is there to make sure if that bolt ever comes loose it won't totally come off so you will never loose you're steering, but in your case the joint wore so much that the ball joint separated into two so that safety feature didn't help out much there. And also you are correct; you do need to use two wrenches in order to get the tie rod end off of the tire rod. I wish you luck, when you get the job done, you will feel very accomplished so keep going at it. Ask someone to give you a hand too, your neighbor or someone you know that is also mechanically inclined, im sure they'd be happy to give you a hand. You can buy the part here, its number 4, $13.

Parts and Diagrams for Cub Cadet 782D

"Thanks so much for your help with repairing the ball joint. It took a long time to get the old one off (had to call someone stronger than myself); however, I installed the new one and it works great (but I will keep my fingers crossed). on the 782D do you know if you have the take the deck off to change the oil? I hope not, it can be a pain.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I would assume not. I've never had to on any mower. Do it in the driveway in case you make a mess like I usually do, oil cleans up well with rags or kitty litter. Easy job, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. An old motor oil bottle with the side cut out makes a good low profile catch pan for tight spaces if need be. On the cheap chineese mowers, the drain is a pain and I usually end with it all on the ground haha. But yours should not be a problem.