Troy Bilt J830 - replace the wheel height adjustment arm

SpaceCadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt J830 - replace the wheel height adjustment arm
I just found this forum during my search for help. I have a Troybilt J830 self-propelled lawn mower (Model # 12AJ836E011) that needs a repair. The wheel height is adjusted by a single lever that controls all 4 wheels. This lever arm has broken off and I'm trying to replace it. I have the new part, but I have run into an issue. I have looked at diagrams of the drive assembly and I think I see how it is put together.

After removing the wheel, there is a spur gear. In the top of this gear is a T-30 screw. I believe it is left-handed, but I am not able to remove it. The shaft will rotate. Is there a trick I'm missing or is the screw "frozen" in place? I have put some WD-40 on it. Assuming I get the screw removed, are there any other pieces that hold it in place? I had removed two clips below the adjustment arm and it released a collar on the underside of the mower deck.

This should be an easy repair, but the spur gear is troublesome.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't remember running across left hand threads when changing those axles. should be right hand thread with the famous MTD locktite on the threads.

SpaceCadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you release the locktight? Is it a heavier application of muscle and torque or something else? Is removing the screw on the spur gear the only step needed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems like the last one I did, I had to clamp the drive shaft with something, and use some torque to get the bolt to break loose. I have been a couple years since I did one, so I don't remember the steps to remove the adjustment mechanism.

SpaceCadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. If you remember anything else about taking the spur gear off of the axle, please let me know. Now, I just need to find a torx bit rather than the screwdriver I have been using.

possum

Threads
If the screw went on tight with a torx bit then it will need a torx to get it off.

SpaceCadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was using a T-30 torx screwdriver. I don't have a torx bit to use with my socket wrench. I'm planning to borrow one from a friend.

saleen083

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt Model 12AJ836E011. It seems to be somewhat the same as the one in this thread. I am trying to replace the height adjuster and got all the way to the axle bearing. I can't get the bearing off to replace the arm. Any advise would be appreciated