Do you make your air filters for savings and fun?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
In another thread this came up: do you make your own air filters? There could be some savings as well as a certain amount of satisfaction.

What materials do you use?

Special techniques?

lizard

Threads
In another thread this came up: do you make your own air filters? There could be some savings as well as a certain amount of satisfaction.

What materials do you use?

Special techniques?

Yes I make my filters from a old foam mattress with great success.:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes I make my filters from a old foam mattress with great success.:biggrin:

There are some small engine filters I also make using open cell foam, backed with green scotch brite pads... works great, always on hand and very easy to make.:thumbsup:

For diesel engines I stick with the store bought super filters ... diesels run much more air than gasoline engines of the same displacement... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
There are some small engine filters I also make using open cell foam, backed with green scotch brite pads... works great, always on hand and very easy to make.:thumbsup:

For diesel engines I stick with the store bought super filters ... diesels run much more air than gasoline engines of the same displacement... :smile:KennyV

Gee Kenny I will be looking in the Kitchen under bench for more sponges....only for the mowers.
Big Diesels , would stick to Donaldson Filters.:licking:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm more likely to try a homemade filter on my less expensive equipment -- lawnmowers and trimmers, etc. I probably wouldn't have done it anyway on my diesel tractor but, after what you said, I'm sure I won't.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Big Diesels , would stick to Donaldson Filters.:licking:

Big AND small diesel engines I use Donaldson with the pre filter ...
On my kubota tractor they have a Donaldson type with a second hepa filter inside it... cant get the air too clean...

The Green scotch brite pads are not the ones attached to the sponges... they are about 3/8 inch thick scouring pads, a bit more robust than the ones on the sponges... but the sponge pads most likely would do... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
On my kubota tractor they have a Donaldson type with a second hepa filter inside it... cant get the air too clean...

The Green scotch brite pads are not the ones attached to the sponges... they are about 3/8 inch thick scouring pads, a bit more robust than the ones on the sponges... but the sponge pads most likely would do... :smile:KennyV

With filters it is strange that a new filter is not as good as a old filter cleaned for dust in the dusty places you never buy a New Donaldson .....eith wash it or blow it with compressed air.
Sounds strange but it is true.........check it out........lol:confused2::confused2:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

What's a "hepa" filter?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
A super filter... actually filters a bit different than a regular strainer filter ... you can see them here ...
HEPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rather expensive so you want to use a very good pre filter in front of the hepa... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for the info.

Did you notice that, with that post, you became a "mower addict"?