Valve clearance on a 17 1/2 HP Briggs and Stratton motor?

paejkirk

Threads
  • / Valve clearance on a 17 1/2 HP Briggs and Stratton motor?
We have a Sears Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 1/2 HP OHV Briggs and Stratton motor. I would like to check the valve clearance this spring and need to know what the clearance should be. Can anyone help please?

paejkirk

Threads
Thanks Rivets, but after looking at that manual, I don't believe that is my motor. Here is the motor number that I should have supplied in the first place - YBSXS.5012VP. There is also the number 274826, but I assume that is probably the serial number. Do you have a similar manual for this motor?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those are not the model numbers. Looking for something like this. Model 245787 Type0134 01 Code67452 88

If you post the model of the tractor, I might be able to find out the engine that way.

Better yet post both.

paejkirk

Threads
Yeah, I realized that when I went to the B & S website to look for the manual. The true part number:

Model: 31C707
Type: 0230 E1
Code: 030725ZA

Once I found the correct part number, I was able to access the manual on their website, so I think I am good for now. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember when that engine came out, and everytime somebody had a problem with it. It was always a valve out of adjustment problem. Engine would kick back, not start, had to turn flywheel by hand to get engine started, but sometimes still couldn't get started. Common complain was I have a starter problem.

paejkirk

Threads
I was thinking at first that I had a starter problem, but after I posted the problem to this forum, some members helped me to see that it probably was a valve adjustment problem. We've had the mower for a number of years and have never adjusted the valves, so it is probably overdue.