Best weed trimmer

Jcg1112

Threads
Went to school there - Ragin' Cajuns. Still have friends and family in the area. Always had St. Augustine grass when we were back home. That stuff grew like a weed. Since I mulched, I usually had to cut every 5 days or so. Can't wait to use the new Shindaiwa. The speed feed head looks great, don't think it could get much easier.

PS - can you send up some mud bugs?? LOL We really miss the fresh US of A seafood. It's sad that I can get frozen crawfish tails from China, but not Breaux Bridge. They taste like crap and we don't buy them. Sadly, I digress. :-(

Threads
The Echos also come with the Speed Feed head as well as the Shindaiwa brand. The Speed Feed head had to be made by Baby Jesus or one of his disciples!!! It is effortless and you never have to hassle with trimmer string not wanting to come out of the head when bumped! NEVER!!! Even if you by another brand, get a speed feed head for $30. I just decided to keep my $30 and bought the trimmer with the head on it already!

I have the Echo SRM-225 with the Speed Feed head and I love it!! :thumbsup:

demhustler

Threads
I third :) stupid thing won't break lol

echo? - stupid thing breaks all the time, doesn't last long ...
kawi - same cc - 1.5 times more power, much lighter, runs until clutch worn out, shaft rode worn out and replaced, but engine keep going ...
echos - engine runs out first, than whole trimmer - throw-away.
we still have couple of units (kinda stuck with them) - and it's not even close to kawi or husqvarna
echos not improving over the years - i simply don't see a reason to encourage such $hty manufacturer with my $$

Threads
echo? - stupid thing breaks all the time, doesn't last long ...
kawi - same cc - 1.5 times more power, much lighter, runs until clutch worn out, shaft rode worn out and replaced, but engine keep going ...
echos - engine runs out first, than whole trimmer - throw-away.
we still have couple of units (kinda stuck with them) - and it's not even close to kawi or husqvarna
echos not improving over the years - i simply don't see a reason to encourage such $hty manufacturer with my $$

This Echo trimmer of mine is still running strong after 26 years of ownership, so I will have to disagree with you on this one! :rolleyes:
Echo GT-2100.jpg

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will throw a different one here. Last Summer I started up on a shoe string budget. I needed something cheap that would do the job when it came to a trimmer. I bought a Cub Cadet 27cc 2 cycle trimmer. We have run it very hard now ever since the first of August and it has been pretty much flawless other than we had to adjust the carb to get it to perform. It came from Tractor Supply and they would have to send it out to have it worked on. That I don't like.

It is a split pole unit and in the winter time I ran the brush blade, a pole saw, and hedge trimmers on it a lot. I have also used the edger with it a good bit and even have run the little cultivator that looks like a little tiller. It has had gallons of gas run through it again with no problem. If it runs through this summer with no problems I will throw it away and buy another one if it breaks. I am going to buy a larger trimmer with handlebars on it because some times we have to run for long periods of time and I have problems with my back running the handhelds for long periods. That will most likely be a Dolmar 4 cycle.

I have used regular gas in it a good bit as well but try to get the no-ethenol when I can find it. Also have run only the Wal Mart oil in it.

I am also considering buying another one just like it to have on the trailer for a backup.

Many say that this type trimmer is cheap junk but I reccomend it to anybody. If you can get one of them from a dealer that will adjust the carb on it when you buy it that would even be better.

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stihl, Shindaiwa, Echo, Husqvarna or Redmax are all good brands plus they almost are copies of each other.
I went Stihl just because dealer is very close by and I just got a homeowner model the 56 RC.
If I would have spent more for a professional machine then I would have gotten more picky and done more research.Theres a few videos on YouTube and a professional uses many different brands and highly recommends Shindaiwa.The cutting head was the factor that made it the winner.Less string problems.
The Stihl starts easy hot or cold and has the long straight shaft I prefer.Once I start swinging the arc it balance is very good.
I think if you can find a great motor and shaft,then a good head and string feed makes it sweeter.