Ariens snow blower light modification

tigercat

Threads
Everything is fine here. One thing I need is having enough light to see where I'm cleaning! I will just run with 1 light when the hand warmers are on, just so I don't run 100% on the electrical draw. that's no big deal. I have long side walks out front and that's why I added both lights so I could see both sides of the machine. Sometimes as I snow blow the walks, I go off road and notice too much grass under my wheels.....:laughing:

Oh I found 1 source that claims 20 Watts then another 30 watts on the Ariens hand warmers, so I can't prove anything here. The lights don't dim when everything is turned on currently so that's a good sign. The draw is near 100% but not over. If I was over the amp rating of the motor, I should be having dim lights, right? Any way I will run 1 light with the heaters just to be safe.
Personally, I hope winter is over as I want spring and summer to arrive!:thumbsup:

Baziboune

Forum Newbie
Threads
With my new snowblower engine, the light is dimming when I put ON the handwarmers, which means that it is overcharging the stator, what can it cause?

tigercat

Threads
With my new snowblower engine, the light is dimming when I put ON the handwarmers, which means that it is overcharging the stator, what can it cause?

It's not going to hurt anything.
It's been a terrible winter here this past winter, cold and snow every other day since Jan 2015. (this topic is 2 years old) and that machine worked it's tail off for 2 seasons with no issues whats so ever. Yes I've since switched both lights and I've ran both lights all winter long, with the heaters on when I was blowing -10 below for several storms. No issues at all.

Boy am I glad it's finally spring time over here!:thumbsup:

detdrbuzzard

Threads

I wouldn't say its over charging, more likely there is too much draw on the stator

tigercat

Threads
The new Briggs engines put out enough amps to run these lights. But some older engines don't (or different brand ?) put out the amps or you machine is not putting out enough because of a problem in the electrical system. You could replace your light with a LED type, it would draw less and the light won't dim any longer. Or have your machine inspected to see if there is an electrical problem with it.