Should I Replace Piston Rings

boodaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am wondering if I should replace my piston rings. The mower I have is actually in good shape. No rust, but the engine has gasket leaks everywhere. Does my rings have oil holes? Didn't know because this is a splash lubrication engine, and because i'm replacing all the gaskets, and seals I figured while im in there I might replace the rings. What do you think?

The oil you see in the valve cover is from me tipping the engine when trying to lug it in the basement lol. I am posting some images below of the head, and piston. Appreciate any advice, or help you can offer about the valves, piston rings etc...

I appreciate your time, and any help you can offer.

My Mower
CraftsMan Model#917.358470 Serial 101696D Splash Lubrication Engine
My Engine
Briggs & Stratton Diamond I/C Commercial Performance 15.5HP 28N707-1036-E1 (Year 98)

30l0zep.jpg

2v8mkoy.jpg

9kcaj5.jpg

358wgeg.jpg

34edzrc.jpg

2di1ulf.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How far do you what to go? In my opinion, just replacing rings is a waste of money. Have you measured the cylinder? Is the cylinder scoured or can you still see cross hatching? How do the valves look? You have a 15 year old engine and are going to have to make a decision as to how much you want to spend.

Threads
As Rivits says -" how much do you want to spend", on the diamond bore sreies engines you will see no crosshatch, so as Rivits says you will have to measure the bore for wear after dismantling, getting it honed & maybe fitting oversized rings to the piston, the cost goes up up up,
my opinion is to get the head skimmed (the heads were prone to warping & blowing head gaskets) check the valve faces & seats (they can be cleaned up quite easily), reassemble with new gaskets, new spark plug, new oil, not much money spent:thumbsup:

boodaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
No scratches, or scoring on the cylinder wall whatsoever. It looks new. Didn't measure it. Head is good and level. Valves are in perfect condition. The reason I was thinking about changing the rings is because the piston has a good amount of carbon, and while I was in there I was going to clean out the piston grooves in case there was build up in them. The engine ran great the couple times I ran it. Do you think it is a big deal to clean out the groves, or leave it alone?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean the head/valves and install new gaskets on head and valve cover. I'll bet the carbon build up was caused by a blown head gasket.

Threads
The carbon buildup on the piston in the photo dosen't too bad for a 15 year old engine, yes it is quite a big job to clean up the ring lands & fitting new rings, i would leave them alone, as you said the engine ran o.k., clean up the head replace the gaskets, bolt the head on & mow