Walk behind Lawn-Boy model 10324 starts but won't stay running

40acresandaford

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently acquired (free) a 2001 Lawn-Boy SilverPro Series, DuraForce 6.5hp model 10324 self-propelled lawnmower. I cleaned the carb, put in a new plug and gas mixture and used PB BLaster Tune-up in a can liberally. The mower will start only if I pick up the back end for a couple seconds. Then when I put it down, it starts on the first pull, BUT won't stay running more than a few seconds. HELP! I'm a novice at working on mowers, but if told what the problem is and how to fix it, I'm confident I can do it. I've had the carb apart and cleaned everything.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look on the left side of the carb, is there a small gold jet there? It may be under a decal. If there is, that jet has a very, very small jet that may be plugged.

40acresandaford

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'll check that out and let you know!

turfboy1997

Threads
The brass idle circuit on the outside of the carburetor is probably part of the problem. It needs to be cleaned with b 12 and blown out with compressed air. This needs to be performed on the main jet too. will the mower run for a few seconds and die when you tilt it forward? The reason i ask is because this could be a float setting issue also. If the float setting is too lean it will start run for a second and die or in some cases it will not start at all. Try the idle circuit cleaning first and if everything is the same you can go to www.lawnboy.com click in parts and manuals tab. Type in your model number 10324. Go to the manual tabs and click on the Toro E engine Service manual. On page 23 it shows you how to set the float right. It also shows you the idle circuit in the picture next to it. That idle circuit is the main problem with the duraforce engine because the hole is too small and with no stock fuel filter on the unit it allows raw fuel with fines in the carburetor and if a small piece of trash get in the openings of these jets it will cause surging and/or poor performance. I think its a float height issue myself but its just a guess since i cant see the machine. I hope you get it going! I love lawn boy 2 cycles and i want to keep as many going as i can! let me know if you need anything else!

40acresandaford

Forum Newbie
Threads
"will the mower run for a few seconds and die when you tilt it forward?"---Just the opposite. If I tilt it forward for a few seconds and then start it, it will run for a few seconds and then die and won't start until I tilt it back forward.

"The brass idle circuit on the outside of the carburetor is probably part of the problem." It appears that this might just be the problem since it's not there!! Now if I can just find a local or online source for parts, I"ll be able to try that. I took the carb apart, cleaned it well, blew out everything. May try to add a fuel filter somehow. Thanks for all your great information!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not all carbs have the idle circuit on the outside. Make sure that the hole where you think the jet should go into is threaded and does go into the carb. Some are blind holes.

turfboy1997

Threads
briggs and stratton part number 801308 is the part number that i put in my 10424 and that thing runs perfect. It is a little more aggressive than stock in that it has a larger hole in the end of it. It will make your machine run great and is probably cheaper than stock. you can get them online.

OMJ197709

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawn-Boy model 10324 starts but won't stay running
Unless you really bent on the cork float for some on reason when cleaning it I doubt the float would all of a sudden just become that far out of adjustment although anything is possible. I feel more than the float being the problem I would more towards your needle and seat sticking shut. This would explain why the force of tilting it forward would force the seat to open up thus letting enough fuel in to let it run for a short amount of time and die. When you set the mower down the cork floats on the fuel that was let in but does not move down as the fuel burns to let any more fuel in. Try picking up the *** end of the mower a few inches off the ground and letting it drop a few times, This should set it right again. If it is still sticking just replace it. They are cheap. Yes you can oversize the jets but doubt that the problem here. Some people replace them with larger ones. I run them out with a wire drill bit.