Riding Mower sound when let off brake

Rockin G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, first off, please let me apologize for not knowing the exact model right now. I am trying to buy a JD riding mower from an elderly couple. I went to go look at it and it starts fine, mows fine, moves fine. I believe it was 19HP? It has the type of transmission that the further you push the right pedal, the faster it goes? Forgive my ignorance, but I thing that is hydrostatic??? Anyways, my concern is, that when I let off the brake, it makes a sound, kind of like the blades are spinning, but not as loud. I crawled underneath it and it looks like there is a fan blade on top of the tranny. Is that what is making the noise or is there a problem that I need to be concerned with?

Im sorry my question is so vague, but anything you can tell me to check would make me feel better about my decision.

Thanks guys.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does it do it in both forward and reverse?

Rockin G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it do it in both forward and reverse?
Yessir. Well sort of. If I let out on the brake, I have to either push the pedal to go forward, or the lever on the floorboard to go backwards. So really, it is all the time once the brake is released.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the idler pulley on the drive belt going from the engine to the transmission.

Threads
Check the idler pulley on the drive belt going from the engine to the transmission.

Yep it could have a bad bearing in it, or one of the other drive system pulleys, or it could just be loose.

robbiecox6

Threads
sounds like a bad idler pulley,i had same problem!

PJ

Threads
Hello all, first off, please let me apologize for not knowing the exact model right now. I am trying to buy a JD riding mower from an elderly couple. I went to go look at it and it starts fine, mows fine, moves fine. I believe it was 19HP? It has the type of transmission that the further you push the right pedal, the faster it goes? Forgive my ignorance, but I thing that is hydrostatic??? Anyways, my concern is, that when I let off the brake, it makes a sound, kind of like the blades are spinning, but not as loud. I crawled underneath it and it looks like there is a fan blade on top of the tranny. Is that what is making the noise or is there a problem that I need to be concerned with?

Im sorry my question is so vague, but anything you can tell me to check would make me feel better about my decision.

Thanks guys.

OK
If the mover has a 48" or 36" mower table it could be idler pulleys it could be many things like bearings,belts etcetera.
You will have to provide more info. It sound like D140 to me.

PJ

Sent from my iPad using LMF