toro 42" z4200 zero turn wont start.

diehardmason

Threads
Ok Rechecked 4 & 5. Neither of them have significant voltage. .02 volts. So it must be a bad solenoid.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What was the voltage at step 3?

diehardmason

Threads
11.7 on one small terminal
.30 on other
Large terminal from solenoid goes to starter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have 11.7V at the small terminal when you turn the key switch to start, you should hear the solenoid click and have 11.7V at the large terminal going to the starter. If you do not have this your solenoid is bad. I'm still wondering how the starter can engage with such a low voltage.

diehardmason

Threads
If you have 11.7V at the small terminal when you turn the key switch to start, you should hear the solenoid click and have 11.7V at the large terminal going to the starter. If you do not have this your solenoid is bad. I'm still wondering how the starter can engage with such a low voltage.

I do hear it click. Thought that was the starter clicking but it's not. The small terminal has 11.7v but the larger terminal doesn't register very much voltage at all. I will recheck this tomorrow morning.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You've found your problem, bad solenoid. Before you go get a new one, make sure the your present one is grounded good to the frame. Bad ground here will not allow the solenoid to operate properly.

diehardmason

Threads
You've found your problem, bad solenoid. Before you go get a new one, make sure the your present one is grounded good to the frame. Bad ground here will not allow the solenoid to operate properly.

I purchased another this morning. I will make sure the contact is good. It was only 12 and the guy said I can return it if I don't need it. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know the outcome.

diehardmason

Threads
I purchased another this morning. I will make sure the contact is good. It was only 12 and the guy said I can return it if I don't need it. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know the outcome.

That was the fix!!!!! Thanks guys for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated!!!

mowersgalore

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it spins over and doesnt start, and being a Kohler
Check the fuel solenoid / or stuck shut choke butterfly

Best thing to do it remove the airfilter and shoot a 100 shot of Aerostart in to the plenium chamber and wind it over if it start u have spark, compression and the only 2 things left are timing and fuel
by adding aerostart that is replacing the fuel

Hope it helps