Duraforce governor setup

Rumrunner

Threads
Good morning. I'm new around here and have been posting in the Troy-Bilt forum, but also have a 10323 Silver Pro, bought in 1999. It's my 2nd favorite mower. First being the 1963 bricktop I used as a kid.

Anyway, I just finished assembling the carb kit (cheap plastic version) using the Lawn-Boy/Toro Duraforce service manual and tech service bulletin #38. Unfortunately, I have unasnswered questions concerning the air vane governor adjustment. The book tells us to:

" Insert the bent wire of the
throttle cable into the vertical tab of the speed
control lever. Set the throttle to fast and the speed
control lever so that the throttle plate is in the full
open position. The cable is adjusted at the cable
clamp on top of the air filter box."

I only have one lever. It's the speed control that has the choke position at the top of it's travel. They talk about adjusting two levers. What do I do?

Next concern is from page 26 of the tech manual on Governor Presetting:

"Presetting the Governor
(DuraForce Engines Only)
Note: Each 田lick of the governor collar represents
approximately 50-75 RPMs.
1. Turn the collar clockwise to increase spring tension
(and engine RPMs) or counterclockwise to
decrease spring tension and RPMs. (See Figure
39.) Preset the governor collar 3 or 4 clicks
clockwise."

This is done after the caruretor is installed. When I'm presetting the serrated collar, FROM WHAT POSITION do I start from? From tinkering with it, I see the adjustment collar doesn't have any limit stops, and will turn until nature decomposes the plastic. I need to know from what position do I add the nominal "3 or 4 clicks from?" Can it be from a fully relaxed spring tension?

I cant help it, but I'm OCD! It's not fun!

I really apprecite any help you can pass on.

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!. I am not sure about your question but maybe someone will be able to help you. What engine is this in, and do you have a model#?

turfboy1997

Threads
Welcome to the forum! If the governor is fully relaxed go clockwise till it has some tension holding the governor closed. Install the carb on the machine. make sure the spring from the governor is installed in the throttle body from the control cable. also do not tighten the bolts for the carb too tight just snug because it will cause warping and can bind the governor. Start the machine. You can use a handheld tach if you want, but i just go by sound on the rpms. 3300-3600 i think is the operating zone. I always start with tension but not too much tension and adjust clockwise till it sounds right. Hope this helps! thanks for stopping by!

Rumrunner

Threads
Thanks turfboy. I'm having spark issues now, and I know there's a fix. So back to the forum search for the "baking fix."

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Threads
Welcome to the forum! If the governor is fully relaxed go clockwise till it has some tension holding the governor closed. Install the carb on the machine. make sure the spring from the governor is installed in the throttle body from the control cable. also do not tighten the bolts for the carb too tight just snug because it will cause warping and can bind the governor. Start the machine. You can use a handheld tach if you want, but i just go by sound on the rpms. 3300-3600 i think is the operating zone. I always start with tension but not too much tension and adjust clockwise till it sounds right. Hope this helps! thanks for stopping by!

:thumbsup: Good info turfboy I had no idea but you learn something new everyday.

Rumrunner

Threads
Okay, I got it running. I mowed an acre with it today.
The governor setup worked great. I just turned the collar until the slack left the spring and barely added tension onto the air vane. Then I added maybe, half a dozen clicks, clockwise. Then, it was just a matter of adjusting two clicks at a time, either way until it sounded right.

As for the coil pack issue, I baked it in the oven for one hour at 200 degrees, reinstalled it and had Mrs Rumrunner pull the rope while I watched for spark. Man, did it spark! I'm sure it'll last for a couple mowings, just long enough to get one on order.

Thanks again for all the advice.