Troy Bilt Pony Help

Rumrunner

Threads
First post here, so be gentle. I'll give as much detail as I can.

I "inherited" a Troy Bilt riding mower in my garage when I moved into a new house a couple months ago. After trying to figure it out, I now know why it was left, though I assured the wife the engine is good, and I don't think it'll take too much to get it running. I appears to have had a hard life as one of the headlights is busted out and the head gasket is pretty wet. I just want to get it running and have a real quick early mowing done. Then I'll service the head.

Here's the specs. 42" deck, 17.5 hp Briggs motor. Mower model number: 13AN689G. Motor number: 31C707 0154E1 040327ZD. I've never had a Briggs engine worth keeping past a year before, so I don't know how their part number system works, but I'm sure you do. Actually, it looks like a fine piece of engine and I'd like to have a long-term relationship with it, so I hope I haven't offended any B&S fans. If so, I apologize.

Oh, you want the problem? Of course. When trying to crank it, the starter only moves the engine through one stroke before petering out. That is, it will spin the motor through (what sounds like either the intake or exhaust stroke, then stall. I can turn the flywheel with the palm of my hand, all sounding normal, feel the compression stroke, then ease up with the exhaust stroke. I can hear the air suck at the carb and blow at the exhaust. Of course, this is what prompted me to assure Mrs Rumrunner all is well.

I instinctively blamed the battery, and a quick test told me it was Kaput. So I sit here now with a brand new battery, scratching my head and, of course, Mrs Rumrunner taking notes of my expenditures. Oh yes, I almost forgot. Obviously, the previous owner (or slave to this machine) appears to have had the starter off. The mount bolts were backed out about 1/4 inch, but are now secured. Also, the positive wire was flaming hot to the touch at the starter AND the battery terminal itself. I disconnected it promptly.

So, I'm at the mercy of the forum. I'm trying to get another house fixed up for rent, or on the market and my push mower is there, needing a carb rebuild. Of course, I'll eventually get it here after the other house is completed, and I look forward to using both, the rider and my Lawn-Boy pusher together. I sit on almost an acre, give-or-take a foot or two. So, what can I do?

Thanks for the help and I plan on using the forum regularly for all my equipment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rumrunner

Threads
Rivets,

Thanks for the input. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I'm going in several directions at once lately. I'll get to it as soon as my bigger fires are out. I'm starting work on my Lawn-Boy push mower, as it'll be the least time consuming of the two machines. I'm looking at another month before I break torque on the Pony, but I'll get there.

Since it seems unusual, I'll post results as needed to increase the "Pony won't start" knowledge base.

Thanks again.

Rumrunner

Threads
Rivets and anyone else interested,

I had some time on my hands today and checked my valve lash. Yep, they were about .005 too loose. I adjusted them to spec and the machine turned over and started within 5 seconds. I have no idea how long it's sat there without being started. My guess at least a year. It looks like someone had ran it into a tree and busted the plastic nose as one headlight lens is broken out as well as the bulb. The starter was just hanging, with it's mount bolts engaged by only 2 or 3 threads. I guess the last "person" was having the same problem and had the starter off, thinking it was the culprit, so it may have sat for several years.

When I tried to drive it, I had it in gear and my speed selector in 4 or five and it wouldn't budge. I tried to move it throughout the whole speed range and nothing. I shifted it into reverse and tried, then it moved about 6 inches. I tried forward again, then it took off. Of course, the tires were flat. After toying with it for 20 minutes, it's acting about as right as I can hope it ever will.

So, thank you very much, sir for the help.