What have you found for free?

Simplicity1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I brought our trash to the local transfer station last year as I do every week. There, by the "free stuff" shed was a Honda HR215-SMA push mower. Those familiar with Honda mowers know that this is a vintage Cadillac - commercial rated Master series, 3 speed, blade brake, battery start mower complete with grass catcher from the early 90's that originally cost near $900. As a tinkerer, I have to say my palms got sweaty immediately!

I loaded it in the truck, brought it home. It was obvious it had been stored a long time. Before trying to start it, I went completely through it. The spark was good and the original oil was dark but full - a good sign. Long story short, it fired up but wouldn't stay running. I tore the carb down three times, each time finding another port that I had missed. In the end it fired up and ran like a top. The only thing I didn't fix was the electric start since the battery was toast and a new one was $80. You don't need electric on a Honda anyway.

I gave it to my elderly mother since, being a Honda, it starts with one easy pull and I already have a Honda HR214 that I bought in 1985 that serves my needs.

perkins

Threads
I pulled an older MTD snowthrower out of someones garbage. I got it home and it wouldnt fire up. I pulled the carb off and the float was all gunked up. I ordered a new carb off of ebay for $20 and it fired right up. The small engine shop was right down the street from this guys house. In the past I have brought items to the shop and am immediately told that the engine is bad. I believe it is a common thing for them to say so they can sell you a new item.

KI4UJO

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I was buying and selling mowers, many. The only one I still have is my rear engine MTD that I did an electric conversion to as a tow vehicle.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
heres my famous FREE tractor!.....also the biggest money pit tractor:laughing:.....before and after...xena the cat.. hard at work during the resto!:laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_0573[1].jpg
    IMG_0573[1].jpg
    233 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0574[1].jpg
    IMG_0574[1].jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0575[1].jpg
    IMG_0575[1].jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0728[1].jpg
    IMG_0728[1].jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0664[1].jpg
    IMG_0664[1].jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0726[1].jpg
    IMG_0726[1].jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0744[1].jpg
    IMG_0744[1].jpg
    110 KB · Views: 29

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've gotten several old push mowers over the years -- people just leave them out with the trash. I've never gotten anything as good as a Honda-powered mower, however.

One time a found a six-foot fiberglass stepladder. I couldn't believe that somebody would just throw away a perfectly good stepladder -- but I inspected it carefully, not wanting to find out what was wrong by climbing it -- :eek: -- and it was in excellent condition.

OldFart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found what looked like a piece of paper in between the gas pumps and front door of a local mini mart type place, turned out it was 5 nice new 20's folded up, hey. 100$ for free is Not bad

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor said he was cleaning out his shed as he dragged out an old Honda Mini-Tiller to the street. Must have been sitting 10 years.
I asked him about it, he said it ran when he put it in there. LOL :laughing: Tines were on backwards, so I knew this was gonna be fun.

I got my wagon & brought it home, looked at fuel lines they were rock solid from old gas. Gas/mix in (4 stroke) tank smelt so bad, it was literally nauseating. So I took off the carb & lines, squirted a shot of oil down the cylinder, gave it a pull. Good compression. And did have good spark.

Picked up new carb/ lines etc & had the gas tank soaking. Robert @ Honda (from here) steered me to an online service manual, so I flushed the gear box & filled it with fresh #2 grease. Put it all back together, gave it a pull & it started on 1st pull. Let it run, set idle, ran it for 15 minutes changed oil again.

Been running like new ever since, till the garden every spring. Runs like brand new, actually runs so good I painted up the handles to look better.

Neighbor doesn't believe it is the same tiller. I told him the tines were on backwards & it is NOT a 2 stroke. But him using 2 stroke mix may have helped the cylinder etc.

I love my Free mini-tiller. Oh yea, parts cost: $9. chinese carb & lines off ebay.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in my Florida days, there was a guy who repaired mowers. I used to call upon him when
searching for odd parts.
Once I visited him looking for something or other, when I spotted a Snapper 21405 self
propelled mower w/Robin 2 stroke motor. I commented that I had the same mower at home, but with a Briggs 4hp.
He said"You want it? I can't give it away!"
It now resides in my barn. I take it out and mow with it every now and then.
I love the sound of that 2 stroker under load.............

BTW,, the Briggs 21405 was a freebie as well. The carb was corroded solid in the float bowl,
but the aforementioned Mower Guy had the exact carb, used but good.
That was a freebie as well...........

I'm gonna restore them both sometime........

greggn

Threads
(1) A Honda with a stainless steel deck found with way too much oil (smoked like crazy) ,blade 1" SHORT on one end , shook and ruined 2 mounting holes. Service and new blade and it runs like a top. (2) A Honda on a good steel deck, they let the oil run a LITTLE low and seized the engine. A few shots of penetrating oil and service , starts easy now doesn't smoke or burn oil . (3) Latest a John Deere 826 snowblower TRACK drive 8hp 26" wide was at the end of a driveway. Drained bad gas and quick carb clean runs okay at 1/2 choke, So carb needs a bit more loving.:licking:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most recent: A Toro GTS self-propelled mower. Runs, but needs carb work and a wheel.

Biggest: A gas engine powered mortar mixer on wheels. It was way down in a ditch but I was driving a boom truck at the time, so...up it came. I didn't have any use for it so I gave it to my employer.