Wright stander x or zk

Threads
I work solo with around 75 lawns. I have a 61" ferris walk behind and a 36" snapper pro walk behind for backyards. My ferris has 800-900 hours on it, I do take good care of it, but I have had it for four to five years. The only problems I've had with it were: the deck was scalping on hills on one side. Somehow the floating deck got out of wack. Then recently, the coils went bad and the mower would take a long time to shut off so it needed to be replaced.

I am now considering a new primary mower to relieve the aging ferris. After meticulous research (although no demo's as of yet) I get another ferris 61". I know the machine, I know I can do my jobs with it.

A snapper pro 61". Basically the same machine, different hydro/transmission, and bigger tires. They run about a grand cheaper than ferris.

Exmark 61wb has good features but isn't gonna happen. Deck height adjustment and not being able to pop the front end up quickly to avoid hitting something and the cost compared to ferris are gonna hold me back from purchase.

I bought a 36" v-ride 2 yrs ago for my back yards. I was told they can mow hills, just nothing extreme. I was mislead and I couldn't mow many of my backyards that had hills. So for $1,000 and many months after purchase, I was able to return it (even though I brought it back to the shop 2 weeks after purchase).

My biggest debate is buying a stander to be my primary mower but still have my ferris for hills that the stander can't mow, and of course my 36 snapper pro still for backyards. The wright stander x or the zk 61" models are likely candidates. Being wider than the 36 v-ride it should hold hills fairly well. I never thought I would consider a stander after my experience but since I work solo, I am looking for something more productive. I will demo one in the coming weeks when it dries out here. Have you had experience with these standers, if so, can you give me a review. Especially if you switched from a walk behind to stander and you have hills to mow that you pull out a walk behind for. I feel that at 13-14 mph, I can be much more productive than 4-6mph on a walk behind, but I am also curious about cut quality in all conditions, will the 1,000-1,250 lb machine cause more damage to a wet lawn than a walk behind? Will it rut more in turns when the grass is wet or is it operator error most of the time? Amount of fuel used compared to a walk? Ease of maintenance? I will also need a bigger trailer if I want to use my ferris as back up as I only have a 12 ft trailer.

All hassle aside, again my point is to be more productive because I am not ready to hire anyone. So if I am more productive, I could add to my client base of 75 and make up for any extra costs incurred with a new mower purchase. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time. I look forward to some good feedback.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I work solo with around 75 lawns. I have a 61" ferris walk behind and a 36" snapper pro walk behind for backyards. My ferris has 800-900 hours on it, I do take good care of it, but I have had it for four to five years. The only problems I've had with it were: the deck was scalping on hills on one side. Somehow the floating deck got out of wack. Then recently, the coils went bad and the mower would take a long time to shut off so it needed to be replaced.

I am now considering a new primary mower to relieve the aging ferris. After meticulous research (although no demo's as of yet) I get another ferris 61". I know the machine, I know I can do my jobs with it.

A snapper pro 61". Basically the same machine, different hydro/transmission, and bigger tires. They run about a grand cheaper than ferris.

Exmark 61wb has good features but isn't gonna happen. Deck height adjustment and not being able to pop the front end up quickly to avoid hitting something and the cost compared to ferris are gonna hold me back from purchase.

I bought a 36" v-ride 2 yrs ago for my back yards. I was told they can mow hills, just nothing extreme. I was mislead and I couldn't mow many of my backyards that had hills. So for $1,000 and many months after purchase, I was able to return it (even though I brought it back to the shop 2 weeks after purchase).

My biggest debate is buying a stander to be my primary mower but still have my ferris for hills that the stander can't mow, and of course my 36 snapper pro still for backyards. The wright stander x or the zk 61" models are likely candidates. Being wider than the 36 v-ride it should hold hills fairly well. I never thought I would consider a stander after my experience but since I work solo, I am looking for something more productive. I will demo one in the coming weeks when it dries out here. Have you had experience with these standers, if so, can you give me a review. Especially if you switched from a walk behind to stander and you have hills to mow that you pull out a walk behind for. I feel that at 13-14 mph, I can be much more productive than 4-6mph on a walk behind, but I am also curious about cut quality in all conditions, will the 1,000-1,250 lb machine cause more damage to a wet lawn than a walk behind? Will it rut more in turns when the grass is wet or is it operator error most of the time? Amount of fuel used compared to a walk? Ease of maintenance? I will also need a bigger trailer if I want to use my ferris as back up as I only have a 12 ft trailer.

All hassle aside, again my point is to be more productive because I am not ready to hire anyone. So if I am more productive, I could add to my client base of 75 and make up for any extra costs incurred with a new mower purchase. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time. I look forward to some good feedback.

I run the Toro Grandstand 36" so I can't tell you about those others but have you considered a Toro Grandstand 60" your only at about 899lbs with the 27hp engine. I know everyone talks about wright but IMO The Toro Grandstand has those beat hands down. I'm like you and working 70 plus lawns a week and and used the walk behind, the ztr and since I purchased my GS 36" I've cut my time by a third if not more, check this site. Toro GrandStand Commercial Stand-on Mower

The other thing that mite interest you if you have hills is the Toro grandstand is rated to do 20 degree slopes.

Threads
Cutting work time down by a third would be awesome for me. How does the toro handle in wet conditions compared to walk behinds or riders, do they rut on turns etc?

Threads
Thanks for the video. I haven't quite given toro a chance, just their snow machines. I will take one out for a demo hopefully.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cutting work time down by a third would be awesome for me. How does the toro handle in wet conditions compared to walk behinds or riders, do they rut on turns etc?

The Grandstand handles the wet conditions better than any ZTR I've ever run, with the adjustable baffle I get good discharge and I use gator Blades. As far as turns go when its wet, if you're doing your Y or T turns as people say you don't tear up the grass and they rut less than the ZTR's. The Grandstand is like any Zero Turn mower, it has its learning curve but it doesn't take long before it becomes second nature.

The biggest compliant I here about the Grandstand is its speed, everybody thinks at 8 mph it's slow and as far as I'm concerned it plenty fast. Scag and Wright both claim 11 to 13 mph but as of yet I haven't seen any residential lawns that I could even attempt to do that on. I mean really what good is 11 to 13 mph on a quarter acre lot with flower beds and trees when you can only mow 4 to 5 mph. I guess if you have large open lots, commercial accounts, 11 to 13 mph mite be good but not for residential.

Threads
I agree, I do not have too many lawns that I can go full speed except when on open ground. I feel even with short bursts of high speed, if much faster, that added up can save time. Then back to the truck in pavement , at 11-14mph would be good. Every time I mow I wish my ferris was faster, especially when a storm is coming. With a faster machine I could fly thru... Hopefully?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree, I do not have too many lawns that I can go full speed except when on open ground. I feel even with short bursts of high speed, if much faster, that added up can save time. Then back to the truck in pavement , at 11-14mph would be good. Every time I mow I wish my ferris was faster, especially when a storm is coming. With a faster machine I could fly thru... Hopefully?

Well I can tell you that lawns that took me thirty minutes to cut with my ZTR I do in twenty with the Grandstand so I look at it this way, the time I save cutting with a Grandstand or a Stander more than compensates for the short bursts of high speed or transport that I would have. Now this may sound off the wall and I'm not trying to say these mowers aren't good mowers but the guys that run Walk behinds or ZTR's for some reason can't understand the the productivity level on the Grandstand, the Wright, Gravely and others is so much greater than the others it's just unbelievable. I mention the time difference in the beginning of my reply that lawns that took me thirty minutes to cut with my ZTR I do in twenty with the Grandstand and it's true but let me add my ztr I use is a 48" cut the Grandstand is a 36" cut (think about that) Oh and the other advice if you buy the stander I can give you, Is make Craigslist You friend.

Threads
.....lawns that took me thirty minutes to cut with my ZTR I do in twenty with the Grandstand and it's true but let me add my ztr I use is a 48" cut the Grandstand is a 36" cut (think about that)

Hmmmm...that is definitely something to think about! :thumbsup:

Threads

This doesn't apply to stand-on or ZTR mowers as much as push mowers like I use, but I will tell you anyway. My Honda HRX can go up to 4 mph, and that is the speed I cut at almost all of the time. Since it can't go any faster than that, I have found my biggest time savings is when I turn around at the edge of the yard. If I need to hurry up and finish, I just turn around at the end of each pass VERY quickly, and it can save a LOT of time! There is this one yard that usually takes 45-50 minutes to mow, and I got it done in 30-35! :thumbsup: