Taller oil filter!!!

robbiecox6

Threads
Is it safe to use a taller oil filter on a 22 hp B&S?,, short#492932S / long#491056

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can use the larger filter, but it is over kill and you will need to use more oil. PS, get rid of that large font, we're not deaf.

Threads
You can use the larger filter, but it is over kill and you will need to use more oil. PS, get rid of that large font, we're not deaf.

Yep just stick with the standard filter.

Tyy

Threads
In Theory , larger filter more oil ! More Oil cooler oil temps and more filtration . So if you can afford larger filter buy it . I only use Wix , best filter manufacturer in the world. If wix does not offer one use oem . Yes Synthetic oil of proper grade is the way to Go !

mjb8fj

Threads
In Theory , larger filter more oil ! More Oil cooler oil temps and more filtration . So if you can afford larger filter buy it . I only use Wix , best filter manufacturer in the world. If wix does not offer one use oem . Yes Synthetic oil of proper grade is the way to Go !

good point! Somewhere in my tool box I have the Wix filter number that would work for you

Tyy

Threads
Thanks Mj but have Wix Catalouge for referencing all my filter needs from Diesels to Harleys lol . Even my John 2040 Deere Tractor runs Wix filtration ! P.S. In a pinch I have personally used Kravenator , over Oem .

turbofiat124

Threads
I seem to recall having an issue with the shorter filter once. I think it was on a Kohler 14 hp engine. The threaded stem the filter screws onto was too long and the filter bottomed out. Not much, something like 1/4" to 1/8" of an inch.

That's been ages again. Did I dream this or is this even possible?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think your memory is failing as the hole has nothing inside for the spiggot to bottom out on.
However a lot of automotive ones do have a plate just inside the hole so sounds like you were using a wrong filter.

driz

Threads
I'm going all through my daughters boyfriends LA 145 and dug till I found what fit. Oh it's not easy. Anyways there is clearance galore . Don't screw around with Autozone, Advance and that crew ( I did, waste of time) Go to NAPA get a NAPA GOLD 1516. Costs $7 and doubles your filtration media FYI it's a 3/4" 16 thread on a 3" OD filter.
I got 2 of em because it will even fit my Simplicity in spite of the tight clearance. Make sure you write that number down because NOBODY ANYWHERE can tell you what fits without digging through boxes (even NAPA couldn't cross reference it).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the micron size of the media is ?
And the bypass pressure is ?
And the flow rate at the pressure of the mowers oil pump is ?