homelite 180 classic wont run under load

metz12

Threads
so my homelite chainsaw will run and cut on half choke but it wont run when under load under load. i'll rev the engine all the way up then put it too the wood and then it bogs right down and shuts off. it also takes a long time to start. you can get the thing to idle when you start it but as soon as you hit the gas it shuts off. i have to repeat the process at least 3 times before it will run correctly. i dont know if i have to adjust the carb, or the idle maybe? pretty much clueless. thanks in advance.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
so my homelite chainsaw will run and cut on half choke but it wont run when under load under load. i'll rev the engine all the way up then put it too the wood and then it bogs right down and shuts off. it also takes a long time to start. you can get the thing to idle when you start it but as soon as you hit the gas it shuts off. i have to repeat the process at least 3 times before it will run correctly. i dont know if i have to adjust the carb, or the idle maybe? pretty much clueless. thanks in advance.

It is the carb so maybe a rebuild and carb adjustments with a new spark plug should be good:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

metz12

Threads
It is the carb so maybe a rebuild and carb adjustments with a new spark plug should be good:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thats exactly what i was thinking. just wanted to get a second opinion on it before i go tear into the thing.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
thats exactly what i was thinking. just wanted to get a second opinion on it before i go tear into the thing.

Don't tear it up just yet. Before you go to that extreme check the Spark Arrestor screen first, make sure it's clean. Homelite stuff is bad about running if that screen is remotely dirty. It should be located on the muffler, should be covered with a plate held by a couple of screws, just remove the plate the screen is under it and clean it. Hopefully it will solve your problem and you will not have to tear into things that cost money. Many moons ago I had a Homelite Blower that did the same thing.

metz12

Threads
thanks ric. what would you recommend cleaning it with?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a fine wire brush and carb cleaner to clean the ones that come into the shop. Most people just take them out and file 13. It doesn't have to be there to run. It is only required when operating on Forest Service ground.

metz12

Threads
maybe wd-40 and a toothbrush? you think that would work?

metz12

Threads
I use a fine wire brush and carb cleaner to clean the ones that come into the shop. Most people just take them out and file 13. It doesn't have to be there to run. It is only required when operating on Forest Service ground.

ok. i'll try the carb cleaner on it.

metz12

Threads
so i just cleaned that screen. it was kind of tarnished. i sprayed the thing with penetrating pb blaster then scrubbed it with a toothbrush. then sprayed it with carb cleaner an brushed it with the toothbrush again. it came out pretty good. i have the saw put back together and i am going to try it out tomorrow.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
maybe wd-40 and a toothbrush? you think that would work?

I don't use any type of cleaner, I just use a wire brush, looks like a tooth brush but wire and clean the screen good and blow it out with the air compressor. I just hate to see someone tear into a carb with out doing the simple stuff first. Cleaning the screen, replacing the air filter, gas filter and spark plug are a cheap fix and if they don't then go carb.