Big Box Store or Local Dealer

Big Box or Dealer

• Total voters

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
New guy here, just bought a new Hustler 54 Fastrak 2013 close out deal still has the 4 year warranty I have been going to dealers they have more choices on models and that all important pricing. Big box stores are great for hardware items but for the major purchases and top line equipment its Dealer .

Good choice getting the fastrak.

I love mine. Good on hills and tall grass.
Deck does not clog when cutting wet grass.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wow triggered a old memory but I have always heard it "don't be penny wise and a dollar foolish"

And it has a mate that I use on a lot of my customers.
It is now on a placard in the workshop that few people see as I am mobile.

" He who buys cheap pays thrice "

I just used it this morning to a customer who bought a STIGA Estate heavily discounted and choked on an $ 850 repair bill on a 2014 mower with 65 hours on it.
When he complianed I also brought to his notice that his was record fast repair as I have one in the shop for 18 months waiting for parts to come from Italy and another waiting 3 months for parts to come from the UK

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh and it is Penny wise & Pound foolish ( a little bit of literation )
The US version should be Dime wise & Dollar foolish.

JBrzoz00

Threads
I'll go to a dealer when I can. The problem is that the dealers are usually closed on weekends when I generally buy parts or when I would buy a new piece of equipment. I did find one that is open till 2pm on Sat though and plan on buying a new mower from them. I will drive the extra 10 minutes and pay a little bit more for a machine from a dealer. I'm in small business so I try to support small business as much as I can.

Brian902

Threads
That's easy.

Box Store has contract with local dealers to service their sales.

At the local dealer you are a second class customer.

You come second to all his other customers.

Good Luck.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's easy.

Box Store has contract with local dealers to service their sales.

At the local dealer you are a second class customer.

You come second to all his other customers.

Good Luck.

And my wife tells me if one is female being talked down to gets about 10 times worse at a dealer and never at a box store.

She is hoping to live long enough to see new autos being sold at Box stores.

ztrjim

Threads
Most would say a dealer would be a better option. Below is a good read....
Find a Reliable Dealer and Service Center

A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Most of the brands available are relatively equal in price, quality and features. But, there could be fairly large differences in the dealers service after the sale. Find a dealer that is as committed to long term service and relationships with it's customers as it is with making the initial sale. Finding a reliable dealer and/or service center is not as straightforward as you may think. Sure when you are at the dealer as a potential customer they will promise you stellar service. But, can they deliver? Follow the guidelines below to help distinguish the big talkers vs the ones who deliver.

Zero Turn Mower Buyers Guide | What to consider before buying | Top Rated Zero Turn Mower Reviews

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
QUOTE:A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Please tell us the " how to " determine this before laying down thousands at purchase time.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
QUOTE:A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Please tell us the " how to " determine this before laying down thousands at purchase time.

When it comes to determining everything thing the articles says about a dealer, that's crazy. You can't and shouldn't expect to get a mower serviced without a wait period from any dealer. I think regular maintenance of the mower should be the responsibility of the homeowner not the dealer. Yeah it's good to find a dealer you're comfortable with but lets get real, no dealer is going to stock ever part for your mower or for every make of mower or piece of equipment they sell so there's going to be a wait period if you have any type of major repair and besides that as a homeowner you'll be last on the list to be taken care of if the dealer is selling commercial stuff because the professional landscapers will take priority. These articles you read online are a good source of information but I think one has to also deal with the reality of the situation.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I try not to deal with any big dealers.
I like the small shops.
I have a 2006 toro Z480 hard to find blades for it.
Called the big toro dealer they said they would call me back. Waited 2 hours called them. Again will call me back. 4 hours I called them. Again will call me back. That was over a month ago.
Still waiting.
Sent a email to toro. They sent me 2 free sets of blades.

If you only buy one mower it does not matter where you buy it. The dealer will still service it.