Buying Advice Kubota Kommander

hcarson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I am searching for a new zero turn mower for this coming summer and have been looking at the new Kubota Kommander ZG100 series. Specifically, I have been eyeing the ZG124E model due to my budget; it is priced at $4500 and is the cheapest in the series. Anyone have any experience with this series and/or model? I'm a bit concerned since it's a brand new model; however, I trust that it's the same quality build as all Kubota products. My local Kubota dealer also sells Toro which I've considered too but they're a bit more expensive. Oh yeah, I mow about 2.5 acres. Thanks for your comments!

KubotaJohn

Threads
For the price and what they are meant for they are perfect... I work at a Kubota dealership and while we deal in Scag, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely.
I wouldn't recommend this for a commercial application because afterall it is belt driven rather than shaft driven, which is why we were able to reduce the price point so much... If you have any questions for want some information just PM me.

hcarson

Forum Newbie
Threads
For the price and what they are meant for they are perfect... I work at a Kubota dealership and while we deal in Scag, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely.
I wouldn't recommend this for a commercial application because afterall it is belt driven rather than shaft driven, which is why we were able to reduce the price point so much... If you have any questions for want some information just PM me.

Thanks for the feedback KubotaJohn! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the new mower, but still eyeing the Kommander. I am just a homeowner looking for a good product that will last me a LONG time....there will be no commercial use here. How do you feel about B&S Pro engine vs. the Kohler (which is installed on the S models)? As mentioned in my original email, I'm planning on purchasing the 124E-48 due to price. I can't really afford the S models, but hope the 124E will be just as good without all the bells and whistles. Any thoughts on this?

KubotaJohn

Threads
Thanks for the feedback KubotaJohn! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the new mower, but still eyeing the Kommander. I am just a homeowner looking for a good product that will last me a LONG time....there will be no commercial use here. How do you feel about B&S Pro engine vs. the Kohler (which is installed on the S models)? As mentioned in my original email, I'm planning on purchasing the 124E-48 due to price. I can't really afford the S models, but hope the 124E will be just as good without all the bells and whistles. Any thoughts on this?

Well to be honest with you, I feel the B&S vs. Kohler is about like Chevy vs. Ford. It's all in preference. But, with that being said, the Kommander comes with a 4 year 300 hour warranty. This warranty includes powertrain and in the unfortunate event if you were to ever have an engine issue, Kubota does the warranty. You do not have to find a B&S dealer or Kohler dealer.

I do believe in a residential environment, this mower will last a long time. I demoed one around our lot mowing recently and enjoyed it, it's not bulky like a commercial mower.

To be honest, the E model only lacks the LED lights and I believe the suspension seat which really isn't a big deal for residential mowing...

I did some digging with my Rep and found that the Kohler and B&S are not available on the open market, these engines were designed and specced just for the Kommander.

4wheelin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hcarson, have you bought yet? I've been looking at the Kommander as well and wondered how you liked it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also work for a Kubota dealer and would echo what KubotaJohn says. The upgraded warranty has impressed our customers so much, that we have sold two with two feet of snow on the ground.

csm2623

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at a Kammander also, how will it handle some hilly turf, slopes near the road, slight down back and around the house.
Mowing about 2.5 acres.
Thx.

Duckman

Threads
In the FWIW category

I have purchased a 124S-54.

I have posted this kind of before on another part of this forum..

A couple things, before you buy it...make sure you get BOTH recalls done AND DO NOT BUY the "lift assist" option.

The "lift assist" can not be adjusted properly and seems to be an after thought. No mater how it is adjusted, either it does not give you any assist OR once the deck is lifted you cant release it.

That being said...I love the mower, no special order
  • The dampened control handles
  • The simple deck height adjustment-as easy as my old LX188
  • The SEAT on the "S" model is super nice
  • The thing just looks great
  • I like the simplicity of the deck lift moving parts AND the deck seems to be bullit proof
  • It seems to have easy maintenance
  • I like the configuration of the belt drive...much better than my LX188
  • The warranty
  • It seems to have a nice low center of gravity

Stay safe,

Mike

SCMCG

Threads
In the FWIW category

I have purchased a 124S-54.

I have posted this kind of before on another part of this forum..

A couple things, before you buy it...make sure you get BOTH recalls done AND DO NOT BUY the "lift assist" option.

The "lift assist" can not be adjusted properly and seems to be an after thought. No mater how it is adjusted, either it does not give you any assist OR once the deck is lifted you cant release it.

That being said...I love the mower, no special order
  • The dampened control handles
  • The simple deck height adjustment-as easy as my old LX188
  • The SEAT on the "S" model is super nice
  • The thing just looks great
  • I like the simplicity of the deck lift moving parts AND the deck seems to be bullit proof
  • It seems to have easy maintenance
  • I like the configuration of the belt drive...much better than my LX188
  • The warranty
  • It seems to have a nice low center of gravity

Stay safe,

Mike
I am interested in this mower as well. What is this "belt drive" you speak about? I will use on residential-about 2.5-3 acres however it is very rough and has lotsa ridges and humps with about 20% some kinda slope up to about 15 degrees. I am looking at Gravely and Country Clipper as well. How much can I expect to spend on this Kommander with suspension seat and a 52/54" deck?

SCMCG

Threads
Nevermind on the belt drive I figured it out LOL. I really like this mower. Only drawbacks I can see are the way the anti-scalp wheels are not as solidly mounted, the floor pan doesn't appear to flip up for access to clean the belt area, and I would perfer a Kawie engine. Other than those trivial things I really like this machine. Can't wait to try one out if it would ever quit snowing here in Iowa.