Blade Sharpening - a PRO's Perspective: Part 1

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think Jaguars are nearly that bad anymore; nobody would put up with it. But back then they really were in the shop once every few weeks. On the other hand, the old XK120 - 150 series has a charm that nothing built after 1975 can touch.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think Jaguars are nearly that bad anymore; nobody would put up with it.

She has a V12 that is out of the shop only 1/2 the time...
I told her that there are swap kits that put Chevy engines in making them reliable... But she says then it wouldn't be a Jaguar ... That is ironically SO true... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
She has a V12 that is out of the shop only 1/2 the time...
I told her that there are swap kits that put Chevy engines in making them reliable... But she says then it wouldn't be a Jaguar ... That is ironically SO true... :smile:KennyV

Wow, that's really bad. Not may 2010 consumers would put up with that. Hopefully, it's not her only car.

Is it one recurring problem or many unrelated problems?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it one recurring problem or many unrelated problems?

Always something with the engine... drive ability, dependability:thumbdown:

Sorry did not intentionally hijack this thread...KennyV

Last edited:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread, along with a few others dealing with sharpening, were briefly moved to a new "sharpening" forum but now they're back here.

Hmmm?

lizard

Threads
This thread, along with a few others dealing with sharpening, were briefly moved to a new "sharpening" forum but now they're back here.

Hmmm?

All of the road like a ruuny egg.....lol
Anyhow when you sharpen a 'blade' you take the minimum of metal off to get it sharp like a razor.
If you get a little vibration it is ok but if it gets bad then you know something is wrong.
Have had some faulty blades on edger break in two pieces.....it was due to a fault in the metal.:eek:

cubby

Threads
Ahh I could fire off a few shots about Corvettes to run with the jag but back to the job at hand.........
I have sharpen my blades all the wrong ways for years. Mostly without any problems or vibrations.
And being a mechanic I know the importance of balancing. I am eager to learn to do it the "right" way
and balancing too, also is a balance tool available to buy?

I'm looking forward to more info, good thread. cubby

lizard

Threads
Doesn't matter today or yesteryear. Ever hear of blueprinting and balancing? Been going on for decades. In fact, in the 60s and 70s, British products were known to vibrate and leak oil - so much so that there was a saying: "If it doesn't vibrate or leak oil, it wasn't made in Britain".

Better to be safe than sorry........get your blade done by a professional or buy a new one,
Mowing should be a pleasant experience, not a dangerous one.:eek:

blades

Threads
Please note that the gull wing shape mower blades, sold as mulching blades are the worst thing in the industry to sharpen. I have yet to find a tool to properly grind these as all that i have seen require manually dragging the blade across the wheel face , that said, the reason is the blades of this type are ground prior to being stamped into their configuration. Yep, I will likely get jumped on but it is true and I have been at it professionally for 30 years myself. Beyond that all other statements are true.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
the gull wing shape mower blades, sold as mulching blades .

What blades are those...
I use Gator mulching blades, but these that you are describing sound different. Is there a brand name that makes this type blade?
I'm always looking for different designs to try... :smile:KennyV