toro LX426 not as fast as it was.....

J_M

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really like our Toro LX426, always reliable over the past 3+ years, but it is not as fast as it has been. I've only changed oil and blades because it continues to work great.

For this problem of drive speed is there a common problem. Possibly just a cable that has stretched out with use and an easy fix?

thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That uses a CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission...
Check that all the linkage connected to it is tight and not binding. A good cleaning of the mechanisms and possibly the belt is waring down so as not to have enough width... :smile:KennyV

jhwentworth

Threads
I really like our Toro LX426, always reliable over the past 3+ years, but it is not as fast as it has been. I've only changed oil and blades because it continues to work great.

For this problem of drive speed is there a common problem. Possibly just a cable that has stretched out with use and an easy fix?

thanks

Your LX426 has a CVT system that uses a single speed transmission and a variable speed belt drive to regulate the speed of the machine.
Here's a drawing of the system: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

Item #46 is the variable speed belt.

As you can see, it uses a lot of parts, and is a bit complicated to work with. Make sure the pulleys are all free, and that the springs aren't broken. Item #61 should move freely.

Don't be surprised if the variable speed belt is loose when the mower isn't running. Does the belt look worn?

J_M

Forum Newbie
Threads
>As you can see, it uses a lot of parts, and is a bit complicated to work with.

thanks for the replies, I'll give it a try, and when I get it to the point where I can't put it back together, I'll call someone in to help : )

best regards.

jhwentworth

Threads
>As you can see, it uses a lot of parts, and is a bit complicated to work with.

thanks for the replies, I'll give it a try, and when I get it to the point where I can't put it back together, I'll call someone in to help : )

best regards.

If you're not familiar with a CVT system it might be best to not take too much apart. Most of the time the problem is straight forward- a broken spring, or the arm that the variable speed pulley sits on doesn't move because of rust or dirt. Look for stuff that moves when it looks like it shouldn't, and vice-versa.

These are hard to troubleshoot because nothing much happens until the engine is running and the machine is moving. Hard to see the problem with the mower moving. I've seen people jack up the rear of the mower so the wheels aren't touching the ground to watch what was happening with the drive system when it was engaged. The names of these people will be kept confidential to avoid embarrassment. If the jacks aren't sturdy enough there might be the devil to pay.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
These are hard to troubleshoot because nothing much happens until the engine is running and the machine is moving. Hard to see the problem with the mower moving. I've seen people jack up the rear of the mower so the wheels aren't touching the ground to watch what was happening with the drive system when it was engaged.

jhwentworth is right...

If you do choose to see what is happening with these systems, jack it up and REMOVE the drive wheels before you do it... and be careful as you lean in to see the spinning things...
It is definitely worth a look and you will see how things should work... :smile:KennyV

CQ_DX

Threads
Mowers slow by several reasons - ground speed (engine/tranny) and cutting speed. If you are sure it is related to ground speed, follow the previous advice. However, cutting speed can have a similar affect.
Clogged shoots and caked decks slow cutting speed which has the net affect of requiring the mower to move slower to achieve the same cut. Same for caked blades, dull blades, and even wet grass.

J_M

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's definitely the ground speed that is a little slower ( not bad but slower ). I may take a look at what's going on, and then possibly have someone take it after the season to get it ready for next year if it's beyond my tinkering skills.

thanks for all the advice, great forum!