Craftsman Chainsaw Speed Adjustment Screws

wfrpalm

Threads
Does anyone know how to turn the carb adjustment srews on a Craftsman chainsaw? I can see the screws but there is no slot for a screwdiver and they are recessed in the molded plastic piece for the air intake. I just rebuilt the carb and the saw starts on the first pull and revs good but it stalls as soon as I let off the trigger.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need to go see your local Poulan handheld dealer, and have him adjust the carb for you. The tool to adjust the screws is a dealer only item, and is Illegal for non-authorized dealers and consumers to own. Under the current EPA regulations the dealer can be fined up to $37,500 per day/ per tool sold, and the purchaser can be fined $3,750 per day/per tool in procession.

wfrpalm

Threads
Yikes, thanks for letting me know.

jakesmurray

Threads
You will need to go see your local Poulan handheld dealer, and have him adjust the carb for you. The tool to adjust the screws is a dealer only item, and is Illegal for non-authorized dealers and consumers to own. Under the current EPA regulations the dealer can be fined up to $37,500 per day/ per tool sold, and the purchaser can be fined $3,750 per day/per tool in procession.

Holy smokes, they are all over eBay, how do they get away with selling them?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Jakes, you are right if you are referring to the "D" shaped screw cap. Today in another thread on trimmers I told someone the same info. The tool is diy in this forum. I am pro environment and do not defeat e.g., catalytic converters and smog controls, but smoothing out a 2 stroke 30cc does not seem criminal to me when the thing wont idle or run properly at high speed. Due respect to the pros...do they put an exhaust gas analyzer on the engine or just use judgement?:rolleyes:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Motorman, I just use judgement because they have not built an analyzer yet, probably never will. I can tell you this, most of us who have worked on 2cycle carbs for over 20 years, can tune the better by ear and feel. I realize that you were not meaning to disrespects, but the beginners out there now and the garage mechanics, should not be adjusting today's carbs without some training. You say you are pro environment, but with the number of 2 cycles out there, they produce a lot CO gases than you think. Do you think I like shelling out $25 for the adjusting tool, just because the government said limiter caps don't work, and then worry every time someone asks to borrow it. Yes, the Feds do check. Just my opinion, which many on this forum say isn't worth much.

possum

Threads
Call around to a few repair shops. Tell them what you have and ask them how much to tune it a bit. Oftentimes it is pretty reasonable. It makes a sorry unit a pretty good one and seems to get a pretty long life from them if you do. So it is worth it. I have seen the dealer near my home have half a dozen running on his bench at one time adjusting them while a couple lawn tractors are warming up their oil nearby.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

Maybe it is just not there time YET. Here is Illinois, the federal EPA agents walked into a Toro dealer last year and inspected his inventory, because Toro distribution network had released some pushmowers before the emissions labels where authorized. Something along the lines of releasing a 2012 emissions label on a engine manufactured under the 2011 guidelines.

And yes the dealer would have been fined for having them on the showroom floor.

From my understanding there was something like 1400 manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and consumers prosecuted last year. Unauthorized adjusting of a carb is prosecuted the same as tampering with a catalytic converter. It is unauthorized tampering with an emissions control device. I one that I like is the new pushmower engines with no throttle cable, and the little tab bent down to maintain a single engine speed. I saw where customers would straighten the tab to make the engine variable speed. That is also a emissions tampering violation.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Motorman, I just use judgement because they have not built an analyzer yet, probably never will. I can tell you this, most of us who have worked on 2cycle carbs for over 20 years, can tune the better by ear and feel. I realize that you were not meaning to disrespects, but the beginners out there now and the garage mechanics, should not be adjusting today's carbs without some training. You say you are pro environment, but with the number of 2 cycles out there, they produce a lot CO gases than you think. Do you think I like shelling out $25 for the adjusting tool, just because the government said limiter caps don't work, and then worry every time someone asks to borrow it. Yes, the Feds do check. Just my opinion, which many on this forum say isn't worth much.

:thumbsup:Rivets, I don't think you were fishing, but here it is...your stuff is very good! motoman

PS when I show diy stuff it is not to thwart sales at professional shops, but to help the downtrodden homeowner who can use tools and is trying to get by in this sinking economy-I figure at best only 10% of forum readers.