Husqvarna 125 B blower won't keep running after starting

dubber6150

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna 125 B blower won't keep running after starting
I have a newer model Husqvarna 125 B blower. I had to change the fuel lines (apparently a common problem), but after reassembling it, I can't keep it running. I have replaced the lines, fuel bubble, carburetor, and carb gaskets, and spark plug. I have double checked the fuel line assembly and it is correct (filter to carb, carb out to suction on pump, out from pump bubble to return into tank). What happens is, it turns over with full choke as it should. I then put it on half choke and it starts and keeps running. Every time I turn off the choke and give it gas, it dies. Does anyone have advice on the next step? Only thing I can think of to do next is changing the electrics. Or maybe a compression problem? Please help. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't think you have a compression or spark problem. Sounds to me more like a carb problem. Most had Walbro carbs and would open the high speed needle 1/4 turn and the low speed needle 1/8 turn. If that does not help it would be time to clean and rebuild the carb.

SLH350

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this exact same problem. Cleaned the carb, replaced the carb, replaced the fuel filter, lines all look perfectly clean. Blower is very new as well. I am completely out of ideas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have this exact same problem. Cleaned the carb, replaced the carb, replaced the fuel filter, lines all look perfectly clean. Blower is very new as well. I am completely out of ideas.

Ideas have nothing to do with it.
Methodical diagnosis is what pays dividends.
So if your tank does not vent air in, no fuel can come out.
If you tank does not hold 5 to 10 PSI pressure your engine will not run.

If the crankcase seals do not hold pressure & vacuum the blower will not run.

If the rings leak either way the engine will not run

If the exhaust is blocked ( mud pluggers ) the engine will not run

If the barrels are scored the engine will not run

If the rings are stuck the engine will not run

If he plug has some fouling down the bottom of the insulator your engine willnot run

If there is a short in the kill wire your engine will not run

If there is a short in the HT lead your engine wil not run

If the impulse line is blocked or cracked your engine will not run

Do you want some more ?

SLH350

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ideas have nothing to do with it.
Methodical diagnosis is what pays dividends.
So if your tank does not vent air in, no fuel can come out.
If you tank does not hold 5 to 10 PSI pressure your engine will not run.

If the crankcase seals do not hold pressure & vacuum the blower will not run.

If the rings leak either way the engine will not run

If the exhaust is blocked ( mud pluggers ) the engine will not run

If the barrels are scored the engine will not run

If the rings are stuck the engine will not run

If he plug has some fouling down the bottom of the insulator your engine willnot run

If there is a short in the kill wire your engine will not run

If there is a short in the HT lead your engine wil not run

If the impulse line is blocked or cracked your engine will not run

Do you want some more ?

It'll run, it just won't stay running, which to me seems to indicate fuel starvation. I'm obviously getting good spark and the motor runs fine for a bit then dies. Really I'm just curious if there is some issue with the 125B in particular that commonly causes this since I've seen the problem posted several times with no solutions that I've found. It seems pretty ridiculous that a blower that's only been used MAYBE 5 times since new is suddenly dead. Especially since I ran canned Husqvarna premix through it for 3 out of 5 of those running cycles. Wondering if maybe the can I used was bad or something and clogged something up in the fuel lines that I can't seem to find. All the fuel lines running in and out of the carb and fuel line look brand new and clear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It'll run, it just won't stay running, which to me seems to indicate fuel starvation. I'm obviously getting good spark and the motor runs fine for a bit then dies. Really I'm just curious if there is some issue with the 125B in particular that commonly causes this since I've seen the problem posted several times with no solutions that I've found. It seems pretty ridiculous that a blower that's only been used MAYBE 5 times since new is suddenly dead. Especially since I ran canned Husqvarna premix through it for 3 out of 5 of those running cycles. Wondering if maybe the can I used was bad or something and clogged something up in the fuel lines that I can't seem to find. All the fuel lines running in and out of the carb and fuel line look brand new and clear.

Sure it is not constipation ?
OR gluttony ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you think there is only ever one problem, you are way off base.
If you think we can provide a one step answer with the information you have given us, you are wrong again.

Every one of the list previously mentioned will manifest itself in a can start but won't stay running situation.

Nothing is obvious unless it is specifically mentioned.
you have the blower, we have a computer screen.

You dredged up a 4 year old post and said you have the same problem as some one who gave us no information either.
The only thing we would assume is you have also replaced the carb & fuel lines the same as the original poster and still have a problem.

Now if you are ready to help us to help you diagnose your problems and fix your blower the start with an EXACT description of what happens when you start the blower.
Does it stay running a idle & only stop when you pull the trigger ?
Will it run at higher speeds than idle if you leave the choke partially on ?
Does it start 1st or 2nd pull or do you have to pull it 20 times ?
Does the primer bulb pop up quickly when pressed ?
is it full of fuel ?
If not does the fuel level go up or down ?
Are you sure the carb is connected to the line with the fuel filter and not the return ?
dose it make any difference if the fuel tank is totally full or 1/3 full ?
Does it make any difference if the fuel cap is loose ?
Does it make any difference if you remove the breather ?
Does it make any difference if you remove the muffler ?
Is the air filter wet or dry and does removing it make any difference ?
Have you tried a new plug ?
What does the old plug look like ?

If you expected a fold tab A into slot B and bend along dotted line C answer then you need to talk to the faries in the bottom of the garden not the forum

SLH350

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haha okay, fair enough.

Does it stay running a idle & only stop when you pull the trigger ? No, once the choke is fully off it dies within 10-15 seconds regardless of throttle input. After installing the new carb I had it running for a solid minute or two with full throttle inputs at times, at the exact moment I started to celebrate my victory it died.
Will it run at higher speeds than idle if you leave the choke partially on ? No, tried to leave it half choked and throttle it up a bit but it still seems to die within maybe 20-30 seconds, leaving the half choke on preserves the run time a bit but not much.

Does it start 1st or 2nd pull or do you have to pull it 20 times ? Always starts within 3-5 pulls.
Does the primer bulb pop up quickly when pressed ? Pops right back within a second or so of depressing it, didn't seem off at all to me.
is it full of fuel ? Filled it up to the brim with a can of Husqvarna premix. Had issues, dumped all that, filled it all the way back up with another can of premix. Still had the same issue. Don't think I've tried it with anything less than a full tank.
If not does the fuel level go up or down ?
Are you sure the carb is connected to the line with the fuel filter and not the return ? That depends on your definition of sure. I was sure until you asked this question, now I'm going to check this first thing when I get home.
dose it make any difference if the fuel tank is totally full or 1/3 full ? Haven't tried it partially full, will attempt.
Does it make any difference if the fuel cap is loose ? Haven't tried loosening it, will give it a shot.
Does it make any difference if you remove the breather ? Nope.
Does it make any difference if you remove the muffler ? Haven't torn it down that far yet but I will see what that does.
Is the air filter wet or dry and does removing it make any difference ? Dry, tried removing it completley with no effect.
Have you tried a new plug ? Yes, no change.
What does the old plug look like ? Pretty much brand new.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, now we have something to work with.
Try pulling the muffler first EAR DAMAGE WARNING for a small engine they are bloody loud without the muffler.
Not odd for a mud plugger to get in there and block up the muffler, or the spark screen to block or rust up over winter.
And just like you, if nothing comes out you don't work for long :laughing:
Fish the fuel line & filter out of the fuel tank ( piece of hooked wire ) and pump the primer.
It should start pumping air after a 1/2 dozen presses if the carb is hooked up correctly.

Is it remote primer or is the primer part of the carb ?
If remote it goes filter to carb to primer to tank return , the primer sucks not pumps.

Did you get the carb from a mower shop of from a shonky internet dealer.
There are a lot of people on the web selling the cabs that Husqvarna rejected cheaply.
Profit margins in China are very thin so there is no such thing as scrap.

When you fitted the carb, there was a small hole on the engine side.
It is the impulse line to the fuel pump and must line up with the hole in the manifold.
Clots put silicon on the manifold gasket then refit it which blocks off the impulse line.

You can confirm the carb set up by pulling it off, leaving the fuel lines attached and blowing LOW PRESSURE air through the carb.
You should get a visible stream of atomised fuel coming out the end.
Usual warnings about smoking, naked flames, open fires, radiators etc etc etc.

This does not verify the pump but it does verify the carb is flowing fuel.
You should do this at varying throttle opening ( growing a 3rd hand rally helps with this. )

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
From the above post "It is the impulse line to the fuel pump and must line up with the hole in the manifold." yes a very common mistake to make......!