Repairs Cub Cadet 1440 Disengage PTO Light

jlfox8501

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last fall mower quit as I was putting it in shed. Trying to restart the disengage PTO light is lit, engine turns over, but won't start. Checked while turning engine over and PTO is not engaged. Gave up until spring and have started thinking about the problem again. Just ordered service manual hoping that will give me an idea what's wrong. Any ideas you can pass along would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check tpsee if you have spark. If no spark, you'll have to diagnosis the safety switches and coil. If you have spark you'll start looking at the fuel delivery system. Post back, let us know what you find and we can give you more specific detains or directions.

jlfox8501

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate your reply. I had spark last fall. Weather is not exactly the kind I want to work in outside in Ohio this time of year. Just trying to get as much information on the problem as I can before I tackle it to get it started in the spring.. Does the disengage PTO light to start have anything at all to do with the problem? I know the PTO is not engaged. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't answer that question without more info. When you say won't start, do you mean the the engine does not turn over at all or the engine turns over, but does not fire? Normally, if the PTO light comes on the engine will not turn over. That's where I get confused by what you are saying. Remember, you are our eyes, ears and fingers, please give us as much detain as you can. Our ESP is fuzzy due to the meteior explosion and astoriod whizzing by last Thursday.

jlfox8501

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine turns over, but will not start. PTO light stays on but PTO is not engaged. I know it is confusing. I don't understand why the engine turns over either. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wben are going to have to start with the questions I asked in post #2. Are you sure you have spark? Are you sure you have fuel? Let's us know the answer to both questions. Also include the exact model and serial numbers for both the unit and the engine. Without both we may not be able to help.

jlfox8501

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had spark and gas when I put the tractor in the shed last fall. I pulled the battery and cannot get into the shed until the weather is much warmer. The serial number for the machine is 875140. The engine is a B&S, but I don't have the serial number and can't get it until warmer weather. How about I check the gas and spark again when the weather is warmer and post the engine serial number then?

I was hoping someone had a similar problem and could point me toward a solution. You sound like the right person. This has bugged me all winter, but now is not the time to work on it. I'll come back in spring with the information.

Thanks Rivets.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll be waiting to help if I can.

jlfox8501

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll be waiting to help if I can.

I failed to let you know I solved my problem. Found it was a loose spark plug wire and decided to change the wires. Found out what it looked like at a dealer and decided to investigate origin of the wire. Tore down and tore down shields and guards. Why is it so complicated to get to the engine on this machine. Didn't get get all the way in but saw it loked okay. Seemed wire did not have slack at plug. Pulled wire through grommets as much as possible, put it back together and hoped. It has not failed to start since and have been cutting since May.

Thanks for all the comments.