Troy-Bilt Pony....lost momentum uphill

JoeinTX

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 Troy-Bilt Pony rider that has suddenly developed a problem maintaining forward momentum up slopes. Runs fine on reasonably flat ground..........runs fine in all in reverse gears.......if I up the gear in forward it seems to climb slopes okay. Just when I have it in lower foward gears it tends to peter out versus what it used to do.

Considering the tranny, I initially thought it a belt tension issue.......a pully with slack or even a worn belt. But I can't see a thing wrong with either as all pullies look okay and the belt is still powering the deck and all else under tension without a problem.

I have a problem and I'm obviously missing something............what is it?

jimbo64

Threads
does this not have wo belts-one for tranny and one for deck- because you may not be able to see the tranny belt easily-------------josh

jspwrplc

Threads
The variable drive on these units are the common problem, They use two drive belts and if one is worn more than the other it will give off symtoms like this. When the unit starts to slip going up hill try pulling back on the clutch brake pedal and see if it starts going again, This will help diagnose.