Engine Won't start!

Elwrong66

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi there, i have a old 1998 Ariens 14hp rider. I just relaced the ring gear on her and now it won't start. It just back fires at the engine? strange? i put a new spark plug in as well. .......my buddies say maybe water in the gas. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has the flywheel skipped and is the timming off? Why did you change the ring gear? Did you hit something abd bring the engine to an abrupt stop?
I'm not at all familiar with that mower... just a suggestion...

Elwrong66

Forum Newbie
Threads
the original ring gear was nylon, so over the years there was no teeth left. new one is aluminum......someone else mentioned the timing, but there is really only one way the flywheel goes back on i believe......thanks for the suggestion.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My first guess would have been right with RobertBrown... timing off..

But there is a posobility that you have sloshed sum crud loose in the carburetor or fuel tank...
Check if it will start using a bit of spray starting fluid...:smile:KennyV

PS I think it is a Kohler engine, Right?

173abn

Threads
I would check that flywheel key. russ

Elwrong66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yup, you guys were right. The timing was off and the key was not set all the way flush, so it sheared off.......re-did the whole thing, ran like a top. Went to start it sunday to finish my back yard, the SOB did it again. vicious back firing all over again! Now i have to pusg\h it back in the garage and rip it down again and see if the timing moved or the key sheared off again. if so, what would cause that? Can't be good......thanks for all your help guys.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would carefully inspect the keyway in both the crankshaft and the flywheel, then inspect the rest of the mating surfaces between the shaft and the flywheel. See if there is any foreign objects in either, clean both as if you were going to eat lunch off of them.
Like I said, I don't know much about that engine....how old is it? How's the compression? Does it have an overhead valve?
If I understand you correctly, the key is shearing either when you stop it or when you start it, you are standing next to it, what do you think?

Elwrong66

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, would metal filings be a problem? when i drilled out the rivets to the old plastic ring gear, there was a lot of drill shavings that i could not get off the magnet. could this be it?.......machine is 12 years old.....not sure about the compression or if it's a over head valve........i'll dig into it again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well...fillings...yea but that wouldn't explain why it sheared in the first place.

Dannie

Threads
Be sure that the flywheel is tight.Use electric clean and a magnet to wash away or pick up any metal.May be a valve is sticking use Mavel mystery oil in gas to clean out engine.Would help to know type of engine.Repaired ARIENS mowers for a few years.GOOD LUCK