Handheld Power Equipment WARRANTIES

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,
I too am curious why...the Echo PB550T is rated at 70db, same as the Stihl BR200. Are the specs not "accurate"? Or does the "basic sound" of the engine itself fall into an "irritating" frequency versus other brands. LMF....yeah, even without the comment from ric, I was onlu interested in a tube-mounted throttle.

Yes I would say that they are accurate. If you stop and think about it The 550 is 465cfm the 200 406cfm. The 550 is rated at 163 mph average the 200 is 132 mph average and both are 70dba so in reality there pretty close as far as cfm goes and sound and there is a little difference in air velocity although not that much. The thing I look at and the big difference between the two is the Echo uses a 50.8 cc engine to produce it's spec's while the Stihl uses a 27.2cc engine. What's wrong with that picture????:smile::smile:

As for my comment about hearing one run......... I came home the other day after doing some of my lawns and was in my garage watching some tv while I was cleaning a trimmer and heard an ungodly noise and couldn't figure out what it was so I opened the door to look and across the street there was a guy from one of the other Lawncare outfits clearing a driveway and he was using a 500T and I swear I could have stood next to him with my BR 500 running and you wouldn't have been able to hear my 500 running that thing was so loud. That 500t sounded absolutely terrible. Now I will say it was doing a kick butt job but I would have for sure had muffs with that thing.

Threads
Good input, Ric. I think if the blower is doing a "kick butt job" it is worth it to get a pair of headphones, since the blower is so good. Not a big deal IMO. But yes, some blowers are LOUD!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good input, Ric. I think if the blower is doing a "kick butt job" it is worth it to get a pair of headphones, since the blower is so good. Not a big deal IMO. But yes, some blowers are LOUD!

Yeah it was loud but it was way to loud, I think it needed a trip to the shop Badly. There was something that was definitely not right.

Threads
Yeah it was loud but it was way to loud, I think it needed a trip to the shop Badly. There was something that was definitely not right.

Well if there was something wrong with that SPECIFIC blower, then there is no reason why it still shouldn't be considered, correct? It's not like EVERY PB-500T blower sounds that way!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if there was something wrong with that SPECIFIC blower, then there is no reason why it still shouldn't be considered, correct? It's not like EVERY PB-500T blower sounds that way!

Yeah, I mean I know that the echo blowers are louder than the Stihls due to the Stihls being a 4 mix vs the Echo being a 2 Stroke but this thing honestly rattled really load, I thought at the time it sounded like the piston was coming out of the thing. I also have an idea that this particular guy didn't do a whole lot of maintenance on any of his equipment the way it looked.

Threads
I also have an idea that this particular guy didn't do a whole lot of maintenance on any of his equipment the way it looked.

Well that will cost him time and money in the long run! :confused3:

moodypower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Shindaiwa has expanded its warranty for residential customers to 5 years -- still 2 years commercial. At least in Canada.

The warranty for Echo includes a lifetime warrantly on the shaft and ignition. Since the engines are dependable, generally the problems we see are related to bad mix or gas that has been left in the machine and deteriorated to jelly or varnish.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shindaiwa has expanded its warranty for residential customers to 5 years -- still 2 years commercial. At least in Canada.

The warranty for Echo includes a lifetime warrantly on the shaft and ignition. Since the engines are dependable, generally the problems we see are related to bad mix or gas that has been left in the machine and deteriorated to jelly or varnish.

You'll find that since Echo purchased Shindaiwa that most likely have all the same warranty's.

MowerMike

Threads
You need to read the fine print carefully. Many warranties only cover the main engine components such as the crankshaft assembly and will not cover carburetor problems or anything fuel related. Many warranties will be voided by anything deemed improper maintenance or abuse. Also, they don't cover "normal wear and tear." Did you leave fuel containing any ethanol in the fuel tank for more than thirty days ? Even with fuel stabilizers and ethanol treatments, your warranty may be voided if you didn't follow all the maintenance requirements religiously.

The fact is that a warranty is only as good as the company backing it. Husqvarna had a rash of bad fuel lines in their blowers that would break and crumble after a few months, but refused to warranty them because they were deemed to be fuel related. Hitachi, which is the same brand as Tanaka and has the same 7 year warranty had a similar problem about a year ago, and did the same thing. So, I try to buy from a local store, which will allow a return for a full refund or replacement in the first 30 days and wring the tool out in that time to make sure it has no defects. Also, I stay away from really low end junk brands like Homelite, with their cheap half crankshaft engines.

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
You need to read the fine print carefully. Many warranties only cover the main engine components such as the crankshaft assembly and will not cover carburetor problems or anything fuel related. Many warranties will be voided by anything deemed improper maintenance or abuse. Also, they don't cover "normal wear and tear." Did you leave fuel containing any ethanol in the fuel tank for more than thirty days ? Even with fuel stabilizers and ethanol treatments, your warranty may be voided if you didn't follow all the maintenance requirements religiously. The fact is that a warranty is only as good as the company backing it. Husqvarna had a rash of bad fuel lines in their blowers that would break and crumble after a few months, but refused to warranty them because they were deemed to be fuel related. Hitachi, which is the same brand as Tanaka and has the same 7 year warranty had a similar problem about a year ago, and did the same thing. So, I try to buy from a local store, which will allow a return for a full refund or replacement in the first 30 days and wring the tool out in that time to make sure it has no defects. Also, I stay away from really low end junk brands like Homelite, with their cheap half crankshaft engines.
Shindaiwa / echo warranties are a joke they blame everything on fuel i had to pay 5.00 for a new primer bulb to go in a 5 month old blower. Shindaiwa has fought repair on trimmers saying fuel related. Would like to know if othet manufacturers give this problem.