Model 130000 briggs spark but no spark

mumptia

Threads
As the title says, I have an engine on my bench with spark but nothing to the sparkplug.

Let me explain.

Lucky for me I had my hand in the wrong spot close enought to the sparkplug wire) when my student pulled the cord:ashamed: and I recieved a real nice jolt up to the elbow. Job hazard when working with new students:tongue:

Problem I'm having is that despite getting a jolt the spark plug isn't sparking.
-replaced the sparkplug with a working one, no change
-checked the existing plug with a plug tester, working fine
-checked the flywheel keyway and crankshaft keyway for excessive wear all ok (not part of the spark I know, but part of the timing)
-I assume (bad I know) that the condensor is fine because its sending voltage through the wire.

My best guess is that the coil/mag is faulty to the point it isnt producing enough voltage on either the primary or secondary winding.
I've orered a new coil, but sure would welcome some input from fellow wrench heads on what the issue could be

Thanks
Rob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless this engine is more than 20 years old, it would have a condenser. I would check the coil grounds, clean and tight. Also, remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark, we want to make sure that the kill circuit is not causing the problem. These two things don't solve the problem, then I would replace coil.

mumptia

Threads
Unless this engine is more than 20 years old, it would have a condenser. I would check the coil grounds, clean and tight. Also, remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark, we want to make sure that the kill circuit is not causing the problem. These two things don't solve the problem, then I would replace coil.

Rivets,

Forgot to mention that the killl wire is already dis-connected.

I'll double check the grounds.

Its an old tiller mower that was put to pasture:biggrin:

Funny, when dad's and grampa's give up an engine to a grade 10 student for repair, we always get the ones that look like they've been sitting in a lake for ten years:tongue:

I have a new coil on the way already. Just in case.

I have a modest cache of parts from years of dead engines, but I couldn't find a match for the coil.

The mounting holes on this coil are in the center of the coil legs and the majotiry of my spares have the holes slightly to the outside (right) of center. Just enough to throw it off.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model numbers if you have them.