Kohler courage spitting oil out breather tube

kevicarlson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Initially the valve casket was leaking which I replaced and it ran well for a few months. Then it began spitting oil out of the breather tube and there was gas in the crankcase with the oil.
Next step was carb rebuild, no luck, installed new carb still not luck but it stopped the gas spitting from muffler on start. Poking around on the forum
I suspect it is a number of things but what is most logical starting point? I have no evidence the block is cracked.

Valve adjustment
Head gasket replacement
Piston rings
Breather reed broken?

Model kohler courage sv590 19 hp, about 6 yrs old. I get the sense not the most favored engine but here I am.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm assuming that you do not have a cylinder leak down tester. If you did you could see where the problem is. I would start by replacing the head gasket and reset the valves. This engine is know for blowing head gaskets. Post the model numbers and I'll get you a service manual.

possum

Threads
Six years old . Done better than quite a few of them. Let us know how things go with it. We need all the input we can get.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not a bad engine to work on or rebuild. As I recall the worst part of the last one I worked on was getting parts. Everything I needed I had to order and it took about two weeks and at that all the parts didn't come right.

kevicarlson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great helpful community here!

So I checked this video and noted I had the same no or very difficult start problem.

( HOW TO ADJUST VALVES) FIX HARD TO START Lawn Tractor with OHV Briggs Engine- MUST SEE- Part 1/2 - YouTube

I now suspect it is the valve adjustment that is needed - I hope not just wishful thinking.

Model is SV590-0012 I have service manual for SV470-620 but would welcome confirmation that this is correct.

Here is my next novice question when looking at the clearance for the valves on adjustment - intake noted as .127mm and exhaust .178mm how am I certain which valve is which? The intake on the carb side?

Once I have that knowledge, armed with the two part video above, I can tackle this just need the time to do it.

Should I still do the head gasket or take on step at a time?

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would replace the head gasket now. You will have to adjust the valves after replacing the head gasket. My guess is that the gasket is the cause of your problem, but you will have to make that decision. Yes, the intake valve is normally closest to the carb, just follow the flow ports back to either the carb or muffler.

kevicarlson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Success! Purchased the head gasket "kit" which included new head gasket, valve gasket, head h
Bolts and gaskets for air filter housing and carb. Adjusted the valves as well and we are in business. I suspect the main culprit was the valves out of adjustment.

Thanks for the help everyone! Bring on spring!

Threads
Success! Purchased the head gasket "kit" which included new head gasket, valve gasket, head h
Bolts and gaskets for air filter housing and carb. Adjusted the valves as well and we are in business. I suspect the main culprit was the valves out of adjustment.

Thanks for the help everyone! Bring on spring!

I'm glad you figured it out! :thumbsup: