Giving my thoughts on HR214 & HR215/masters series

dfbrown

Threads
Hi Honda guys,
I just wanted to give everybody a nice review of both honda hr214 & hr215 lawn mowers.

HR214 Highs built like a brick ---- house, driveshaft, cables that are motorcycle quality, cast aluminum deck, bbc, cuts well, bags great, super reliable with many still running to this day 30 years later.
Lows- bbc lever (not quite like all the newer ones) 2 speed tranny (compared to hydro) 4hp (good for its day though) bag setup (compared to newer hr215), weight (for some people)

HR215 Highs basically same mower just more refined, more hp, better bbc handlebar, hydro transmission, newer style bag with door that opens.

Both of these mowers are built so well it actually puts other company mowers to shame even by todays standard (except newer hrc216 - cats azz) Ball bearing crank, driveshaft, hydro trans,had mulching kit 2 blade set up available, deck guards available, handlebar mounts available. Unbelievable machines especially for there time. I still have several of these mowers that are in great shape, clean and run like clocks. There is always the big debate about when they changed to nexite decks and I have those also along with hrc models. I will say the new hrx217 do mulch better and the cut is more refined then old 214/215 but those had old 214/215 had gxv motors compared to newer hrx217 have gcv which is consumer not commercial. Please share your thoughts or if any questions. thanks

Threads
I have the NeXite deck on my Honda HRX217HYA, and I like it a lot more than the metal (I think it's aluminum?) deck on my HRR216TDA. I have found that with the grass I cut, you don't even need to clean the deck; the grass doesn't stick to the NeXite compared to the metal! :thumbsup: (http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/nexite-mowing-deck)

Also, I have the GCV190 engine on mine, and no it's not commercial, but it's "premium residential", and it is more powerful than the GCV160 engine on my HRR. I like the extra power, it doesn't bog down much! :thumbsup:

P.S. Good review! :smile:

bwdbrn1

Threads
I love the HR214 myself. O.K., so love is a pretty strong emotion for a lawn mower, but I'll agree with you, they were fantastic mowers in their day, and still are one of the best mowers available.

If there was a weak point on them, it would have to be the bearings in the rear height adjusters. Although they can easily be replaced, the John Deere mowers of the time, like the 14SB, had grease fittings on the rear height adjusters where the final shaft from the transmission to the wheels passes through. I thought that was a good feature that Honda should have incorporated into the HR215.

I currently have three HR214s, including 2 SX versions, and an SM. I recently got an HR215SX that I've put the electric start on, and plan to use it as my daily driver. The GXV120s and GXV140s are great engines. Smooth, quiet, easy to start, and even easier with the electric start.

dfbrown

Threads
I owend in 1996 till 2002 a john deere 14sb, jx75 & jx85. Great mowers only complaint, must keep carb clean i thought a little senstive to dust/dirt in carb. And all 3 of these machines the transmissions went bad and they would wear wheels out (not jx85 so much). Great mowers though & Kinda miss them. They were $800+ back then.

I gave my dad my nice hr215k1sxa mower last season and i regret i but only single thing i dont like about it is 3 speed trans. All my other mowers except 214 2 speed they all have hydro. Way way smoother and not abrubt when engaging it. I had even the deck guards and handlebar supports on that one but i work on it for him like oil, blade spark plug air filter etc.

Rouillier

Threads
I love my HR215 Master Series and don't want to get rid of it even though I bought a HRX yesterday. My wife wants me to put it on the curb! :( it still looks great but is just a little hard to start! It has been a friend for over 13 years.
I can't just throw it away!

It has to be worth something!

bwdbrn1

Threads
Put it to the curb?! Good golly nooooo... Yes it's worth something. That mower is still very sought after and you would have no trouble finding a new owner for it. If you were closer, I'd be beating a path to your house to make it mine.

pricelister

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. New to this site.

I bought my HR215HXA (same as the masters series I think) in 1991 with my 1st house The pull rope and front wheel adjusters have been replaced and I put a spark plug in it once just in case. The thing is beginning to look a little rough but it just keeps going.

civilmel

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Giving my thoughts on HR214 & HR215/masters series
Hi Honda guys,
I just wanted to give everybody a nice review of both honda hr214 & hr215 lawn mowers.

HR214 Highs built like a brick ---- house, driveshaft, cables that are motorcycle quality, cast aluminum deck, bbc, cuts well, bags great, super reliable with many still running to this day 30 years later.
Lows- bbc lever (not quite like all the newer ones) 2 speed tranny (compared to hydro) 4hp (good for its day though) bag setup (compared to newer hr215), weight (for some people)

HR215 Highs basically same mower just more refined, more hp, better bbc handlebar, hydro transmission, newer style bag with door that opens.

Both of these mowers are built so well it actually puts other company mowers to shame even by todays standard (except newer hrc216 - cats azz) Ball bearing crank, driveshaft, hydro trans,had mulching kit 2 blade set up available, deck guards available, handlebar mounts available. Unbelievable machines especially for there time. I still have several of these mowers that are in great shape, clean and run like clocks. There is always the big debate about when they changed to nexite decks and I have those also along with hrc models. I will say the new hrx217 do mulch better and the cut is more refined then old 214/215 but those had old 214/215 had gxv motors compared to newer hrx217 have gcv which is consumer not commercial. Please share your thoughts or if any questions. thanks

Are the HR214 SX rebuild-able. I have one and it is starting to smoke at startup and for a few seconds. Can you replace the rings to correct this problem?

dfbrown

Threads
Are the HR214 SX rebuild-able. I have one and it is starting to smoke at startup and for a few seconds. Can you replace the rings to correct this problem?
yes you can rebuild them and bore the cylinder and you have a choice of a couple different piston and ring (bigger) bore sizes available. I know that Plano power equipment in plano, texas will bore them but I do not know price for labor. If you look at a random parts fiche you will see the different size pistons and rings that are available like .25 .50 .75 mm bigger bore sizes I believe. Also you could ask robert@honda about this as he would know for sure about the process and the success of it. If you give him your serial number and engine number he could look up part numbers and such. Good luck:thumbsup:

civilmel

Forum Newbie
Threads

One of the problems I may have in rebuilding this mower is the serial number is not readable. I do really like this mower. Not overpowered and light. Great for a relatively small yard. About 2000 sf.