110 volt Power inverters

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anybody on here use a 110 volt power inverter off of the 12 volt batteries on their trucks? I have a 1500 watt inverter that I use to run an electric chainsaw. electric impact wrench, electric hedge trimmers, my small air compressor and more.

I bought it in 2006 and have used it many times. Many times I can drive the truck right up beside where I am working and then move the truck along as in when trimming shrubs thus having to continually add cords.

I was wondering if anybody else used one and what your experiences were with it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Works great for remote power, I put one in my Kubota cabbed tractor... very handy for about everything. :smile:KennyV

possum

Threads
We kept one around for possible power outage to run medical equipment for my fatherinlaw until he passed. They use alot of battery power for no more than they put out. A bank of batteries may have been better, but then a person has to maintain those as well. They are a pretty good portable power tool but not very practical for extended use.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We kept one around for possible power outage to run medical equipment for my fatherinlaw until he passed. They use alot of battery power for no more than they put out. A bank of batteries may have been better, but then a person has to maintain those as well. They are a pretty good portable power tool but not very practical for extended use.

My Dodge Diesel has two 12 volt batteries. I can run a set of hedge trimmers for a an hour or so at the time without starting the truck and the truck still starts fine. I have run my chainsaw long enough to cut up a whole tree and the truck would still start with no problem as well. It is a good source of power that allows you to use lighter electric tools rather than heavier gas ones. I keep mine in the tool box of my truck and changing a trailer tire with an electric impact wrench is a snap. Anybody that has ever tried to change a blown trailer tire by the road with hand tools knows that some time that is not as easy as it sounds.

mullins87

Threads
I use one quite a bit. As mentioned above, they do use a lot of amperage. As a general rule of thumb and due to inefficiencies in battery design and the inverters themselves, they will use about 10 amps of 12 volt battery power for every 100 watts of 120 volt AC put out. I have a small outbuilding that does not have any permanent power. I only have one 75 Ah deep cycle battery and a 15 watt solar panel. It does fine lighting up the building with three 25 watt CFL's, if I'm only out there for maybe an hour or two, but if I'm out there for very long or if I'm running any power tool, then the battery will give out pretty quick. I've thought about pulling out the 120 volt system and replacing the lights will 12 volt ones like the ones in a camper. That would be far more efficient and just use the generator any time I need 120 volt power.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've thought about pulling out the 120 volt system and replacing the lights will 12 volt ones like the ones in a camper. That would be far more efficient and just use the generator any time I need 120 volt power.

That sounds like an awesome idea.:thumbsup:

2stroke4ever

Forum Newbie
Threads
I gave up on power inverters to run electric yard care tools long ago. If you want something lightweight that will power hedge trimmers and even electric chainsaws you can't beat those 800/900 watt 2 cycle generators such as those sold by harbor freight. They only weight about 40 pounds and are surprisingly quiet. I have two of them which have been running perfectly for several years. You can get them on sale for $80 to $90. The main thing to remember (as with any small engine) is to drain the fuel tank and carb if they won't be used for more than a month. Ethanol gas kills small engine carburetors.