FAO Robert@honda ACS Spark Plug.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda GCV135 GJAFE 4125372 MD4.

Over here on the GCV engine we fit BPR6ES or 5ES but just noticed now a 4ES plug is fitted with the ACS version.

Can the BPR6ES or 5ES plug be fitted or does it have to be the 4ES?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My parts catalog only covers USA-spec models. That serial number is not in the range of a USA model, from what I can tell.

The default plug for a GCV135 engine is a BPR6ES (NGK). I do not see any other types listed, sorry.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The plug that came out is a BPR4ES and the parts list shows it as a BPR4ES.
Must be something to do with our blend of fuels.
Thanks anyway.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as I know about spark plugs is that different manufactures have different ways of labeling their plugs. By just guessing I would say the 4 to the 6 is just hotter plug. You will also fine each letter stands for a different design of the plug. You being a master tec would know all this. As for myself if I can't find the same brand plug with the right letters and numbers I go to a cross reference chart and see what I can interchange it with. Long gone is the days when you just put J8 Champions in everything.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In NGK plugs the lower the number the hotter the plug. with Champion the higher the number the hotter the plug. I don't know about other brands.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
In NGK plugs the lower the number the hotter the plug. with Champion the higher the number the hotter the plug. I don't know about other brands.

I would say very few would know all the information there is to know about spark plug numbers and letters, this is the reason I use the cross reference chart. With all improvements with the trouble free ignition systems we have today the old standard J8 Champion that you could buy in any hardware store is on its way out. The last time I went to buy a Champion J8 I couldn't find one. I have also found with the newer ignition systems the spark plugs just last a lot longer. When customer comes to my shop for a engine tune up the only reason I install a new spark is they expect a new spark plug with the tune up, not that it needs it.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes you are right im a MST for "Briggs & Stratton".

Honda info can be hard to get.
Yes the p means projected, r is resister, e is 19mm reach etc but why change the heat rating when it seams to be the same cylinder set up and coil.

Only thing it can be is it runs hot for the automatic choke system to allow the heat sensor to take choke off so a hotter plug would allow this to happen.

I always want to know "why" there is changes and not "guess".