Build a Pine Straw Rake

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the nice and big tires on the rake! :thumbsup:

A neighbor that works on mowers gave me that set of tires. They came off of the back of a John Deere mower or some kind that he junked out. The smaller ones that are on my baler were on the front of a Craftsman mower also.

Threads
A neighbor that works on mowers gave me that set of tires. They came off of the back of a John Deere mower or some kind that he junked out. The smaller ones that are on my baler were on the front of a Craftsman mower also.

Cool! :cool:

DRH

Threads
so glad I found your post about the rake. it is the first and only one I have found that might help me out.
I've an acre and a half of low land I keep mowed regularly, marsh grass actually. looks good when cleaned up. but this time of year it is still too damp down there to work easily. after 2 cuttings I need to rake up or lawn vac the area, the clippings get too thick to mow again. I use the wheel rake, aka estate rake, ( the vee shaped one) which windrows the clippings very nicely, when it is too thick I need to remove a center wheel to allow the windrow to pass through rather than plugging the rake.
my big problem is that I need to gather the windrows into small piles with a hand rake , then drive around with a trailer and fork the piles onto the trailer to haul away. I am quite tired of handraking 1+ acre into 70 piles to fork up.
I have no 3 point hookup so have been searching for a trailer rake that will gather up the windrows into piles and work similar to an old fashioned dump rake.
yours seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I usually gather up about a 20 foot length of windrow from both directions into a pile.
later in the year when it is much drier down there I can simply mow one day, and the following day do it again with the lawn vac and dump all of it at a convenient place. ( the lawn vac doesn't pick up windrows too well, it dozes the clippings ahead of the mower deck. works just fine on the broadcast clippings)
then I use the pine straw baler that I built and bale up the clippings into tidy bales, easy to handle then.
my next question for you is, does your rake have teeth on the lower edge? how long, how many, what spacing? does the unit need to be locked up vertical to prevent it from dumping when you don't intend to just yet?
Denny
DRH

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
so glad I found your post about the rake. it is the first and only one I have found that might help me out.
I've an acre and a half of low land I keep mowed regularly, marsh grass actually. looks good when cleaned up. but this time of year it is still too damp down there to work easily. after 2 cuttings I need to rake up or lawn vac the area, the clippings get too thick to mow again. I use the wheel rake, aka estate rake, ( the vee shaped one) which windrows the clippings very nicely, when it is too thick I need to remove a center wheel to allow the windrow to pass through rather than plugging the rake.
my big problem is that I need to gather the windrows into small piles with a hand rake , then drive around with a trailer and fork the piles onto the trailer to haul away. I am quite tired of handraking 1+ acre into 70 piles to fork up.
I have no 3 point hookup so have been searching for a trailer rake that will gather up the windrows into piles and work similar to an old fashioned dump rake.
yours seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I usually gather up about a 20 foot length of windrow from both directions into a pile.
later in the year when it is much drier down there I can simply mow one day, and the following day do it again with the lawn vac and dump all of it at a convenient place. ( the lawn vac doesn't pick up windrows too well, it dozes the clippings ahead of the mower deck. works just fine on the broadcast clippings)
then I use the pine straw baler that I built and bale up the clippings into tidy bales, easy to handle then.
my next question for you is, does your rake have teeth on the lower edge? how long, how many, what spacing? does the unit need to be locked up vertical to prevent it from dumping when you don't intend to just yet?
Denny
DRH

The rake has teeth on it that I bought at Tractor Supply. I put them on a piece of oak board that I then bolted to a wider pine board. All are 2 by. Since this thread I have experimented more with this and actually took the rake off of the trailer and build a different mount system and now mount it on the front of my craftsman lawn tractor and push it like a blade. I built a simple pulley rope system on it to raise and lower it as needed. I got it built and actually used it one time and then we started cutting grass and I have to used it anymore.

There is also a company in Ga. That makes a small dump rake that can be towed behind a lawn tractor as well that is probably as good as mine if not better.

Message me and we can establish contact and I will be more than glad to do anything I can to assist you.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Denny
DRH

It is actually 50" wide and the teeth are on 2" spacing a. Slightly further apart might be as we better for your application. Te teeth are the universal ones at tractor supply. They are seated in rubber like for a mechanical rake.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-rake-teeth-for-1-5-8-bar

kobeneko

Forum Newbie
Threads
HAS THIS RAKE HELD UP. ANY WAY TO GET MORE PICS OF HOW YOU BUILT IT, TINE SET UP, AXEL SET UP ETC... WOULD LIKE TO BUILD ONE MY SELF.

THANKS,
JR

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put wheels on a big Craftsman rake to try to remove weed roots in my front 1/3 acre. Pulling without wheels with my DYT 4000 would be suicide as the rake without wheels is too much a load. I really need a true garden tractor so a hitch can be used. The wheeled rake worked but loaded up too much and reqired manual cleaning after a short run. I have been using a small Brinly "rake,"the one with the spring fingers. I put a two position hitch mod on so the height can be adjusted. It works, but primitive. Again loading up a problem, but the Brinly is light enough to clean easily. This setup works best to clear downed fir branches on the blacktop road. I lower it and raise it for transport on the hitch mod.

PS Perhaps of interest the big rake has ?24 spring steel curved teeth. I also tried thinning the "smile" by removing half the teeth to reduce loading. Did not help.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
HAS THIS RAKE HELD UP. ANY WAY TO GET MORE PICS OF HOW YOU BUILT IT, TINE SET UP, AXEL SET UP ETC... WOULD LIKE TO BUILD ONE MY SELF. THANKS, JR
Sorry I just saw your post. I don't come here as Soren as I once did. I finally had to mount the rake on the front of the tractor to get it to work good.
Here is a short video of it. I don't have any videos of it working. It works great though. I need a little better tractor to put it on. One with hydra-static drive would be great.

http://youtu.be/cv2-CG_U3vA

Here is a link to a short video of my baler a good while ago as well. It works great. i only got time to bale about 100 bales with it this year but had NO problems with it.

http://youtu.be/srA2OWBhWoA