Pine Straw Rakes

metz12

Threads
yes. my uncle uses one when he does hay in the summer.

Parkmower

Threads
Up north we call That a de-thatcher.
And we just got one at tractor supply for like $90

Threads
Up north we call That a de-thatcher.
And we just got one at tractor supply for like $90

Oh yeah that's true....they are pretty much the same thing. But there uses vary a little: a dethatcher removes dead grass, while a pine straw rake removes umm....pine straw. Imagine that! :laughing:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh yeah that's true....they are pretty much the same thing. But there uses vary a little: a dethatcher removes dead grass, while a pine straw rake removes umm....pine straw. Imagine that! :laughing:

Are the tines close enough together on a dethather to rake pine straw?

I have never seen one. Only pictures.

Threads
Are the tines close enough together on a dethather to rake pine straw?

I have never seen one. Only pictures.

I don't know, because there are different kinds of dethatchers. There is the kind that just get towed around the yard and then there is the kind that actually spin. Otherwise known as power rakes.
dethatcher 1.jpg VS. dethatcher 2.jpg

Another Power Rake: power rake.jpg

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

noma

Threads
HI All

How thick is your pine straw would a leaf and grass sweeper work to pick the straw up and it would put it into a container for you to. They make them to pull behind a lawn tractor and the sweeper sweepes on it's own wheels so you don't need a engine on the sweeper. But if the straw is very thick i don't think it will work, but just a idea to ponder about.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
HI All

How thick is your pine straw would a leaf and grass sweeper work to pick the straw up and it would put it into a container for you to. They make them to pull behind a lawn tractor and the sweeper sweepes on it's own wheels so you don't need a engine on the sweeper. But if the straw is very thick i don't think it will work, but just a idea to ponder about.

Sweepers are not reccomended for Longleaf Pine Straw. They will work with Loblolly and Slash by going over the area two or three times in different directions.

I want to rake it and bale it for resale. We are talking about several hundred bales a year hopefully.

sandraw

Forum Newbie
Threads
this thread is old but is exactly what my question has been. I need to mow alfalfa between rows of trees. Cut it down with a BCS sickle mower and have raked it by hand to this point but am too old to continue to do that. Would like to rake it into piles or windrows. We tried the little dethatcher and it just doesn't gather enough up and the fact that it only lifts about 4 inches off the ground to 'dump' is an issue as it just drags the hay further. The picture for the original question was not available.

Can anyone help with this?