Pine Straw Baler

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has any of you ever built a manual pine straw baler? I am thinking of building one. Having one would serve two puproses for me. First it would get me work from people that need to get it out of their yards. Secondly it would give me straw to put into beds that I bid to have the straw replaced.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I never built one. But I bet you could go to a farm that bales there own hay and maybe get one of there old ones cheap.
I just rake it up on a tarp drag it on to the trailer and sell it to the next yard

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never built one. But I bet you could go to a farm that bales there own hay and maybe get one of there old ones cheap.
I just rake it up on a tarp drag it on to the trailer and sell it to the next yard

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Actually I want to build a "box baler". You can find plans for one in the internet but they are not very clear. It is all done by hand. The baler is built out of wood. I saw some where that it said that one person could bale 100+ bales a day with one. I don't care about going into "production" of baling straw but it might be a good thing especially if you mulch beds and also clean yards. That way you get paid to pick it up and you get paid to lay it back out.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually I want to build a "box baler". You can find plans for one in the internet but they are not very clear. It is all done by hand. The baler is built out of wood. I saw some where that it said that one person could bale 100+ bales a day with one. I don't care about going into "production" of baling straw but it might be a good thing especially if you mulch beds and also clean yards. That way you get paid to pick it up and you get paid to lay it back out.

Gotter built today. Will load a picture if I can figure out how.

Threads
Gotter built today. Will load a picture if I can figure out how.

Look here to learn how to create a photo album: arrow.gif http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/site-discussion/31-how-create-photo-galleries-upload-photos.html.

Or you can just go to the little paper clip button in the toolbar, click "Choose File", find yours, and click "Upload". Then once it has loaded all the way, go back up to the paper clip and click on the uploaded file in the drop-down menu. That will insert it into the post.

I can't wait to see the pics! :smile:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the pictures, jekjr....that looks nice! Let us know how it works when you get to use it! View attachment 11140

(Here is a link to his pictures: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/jekjr-albums-straw-baler.html)

I baled one bale with it of straw that was not very good at all and it did a very good job.
I need to get some good string before I start baling good stuff. I am talking to somebody now about going to bid a job what supposedly has a good bit of straw that needs to be moved. Hopefully I can get that job.

Threads
OK please inform me. What exactly does a pine straw baler do? I think I get the general gist of it, but I am not from the south and we use mulch, not pine straw.
:anyone:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK please inform me. What exactly does a pine straw baler do? I think I get the general gist of it, but I am not from the south and we use mulch, not pine straw.
:anyone:

Here lots of times we use pine straw for mulch in beds. Also there are some yards that have large pine trees in them and the straw builds up and if it is not raked up and removed it will kill the grass.

People who have pine straw in their yards that want it removed will pay somebody to rake it up and haul it off.

My goal is to get paid to rake the yards. Then bale the straw and use it to put in beds on other jobs....

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here lots of times we use pine straw for mulch in beds. Also there are some yards that have large pine trees in them and the straw builds up and if it is not raked up and removed it will kill the grass.

People who have pine straw in their yards that want it removed will pay somebody to rake it up and haul it off.

My goal is to get paid to rake the yards. Then bale the straw and use it to put in beds on other jobs....

Pine straw is $3.50 a bale. If you are not busy doing anything else you can take the baler and find some straw and rake it and bale it...... I am not sure how many bales I can get up in a day but I have in years past seen straw piles that people would give you to move. With the baler I could bale 50 to 100 in a day. It ain't get rich but it will make a payday.

This is a new venture for me right now. I have been looking at doing it for a while. it is a learning experience. All I got invested in the baler is scrap lumber and time except for the hinges, bolts, and the the two latches on the door......