New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
good post

You described the conditions in which you were mowing so, I don't think your review is invalid at all. Like me, you seem to feel that the mower is not perfect, but still an adequate replacement for a smaller gas mower used under 'generally' typical conditions.

I've read that the battery charge indicator lights are at 75%, 40% (I think?) and the last one at 10%. I try to wait till I've discharged the battery or it's down to just 1 light before recharging as I've read it is charging cycles that contribute most to the demise of batteries.

Consider taking a file to the blades and sharpening them. I also dump the clippings out of that mulching plug occasionally. I have previously threatened to fill it's 'chambers' with expanding foam but haven't done it yet.

MowerMike

Threads
I've read that the battery charge indicator lights are at 75%, 40% (I think?) and the last one at 10%. I try to wait till I've discharged the battery or it's down to just 1 light before recharging as I've read it is charging cycles that contribute most to the demise of batteries.

It's not necessary to fully discharge Li-Ion batteries before recharging to extend their service life. The term "charging cycles" is really "full charging cycles", such that you will get more partial charging cycles out of a battery than full charging cycles. So in the end it makes little difference what useage strategy you choose. Also, Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect the way NiCd batteries do, such that there is no degradation of their capacity by recharging them when they are only partially discharged. Finally, Li-Ion batteries do not require periodic charging the way SLA batteries do, such that you can just store them away during long periods of nonuse. I simply remove the battery after every use and recharge it fully, then let it sit until the the next use so I will always have a fully charged battery available. The discharge rate of Li-Ion batteries is extremely low, and they can sit for months without any significant drop in capacity.

Mark Widmer

Threads
My friends ruined their mower's SLA battery once because they too thought you were supposed to fully discharge it before recharging. With SLA's, the electrodes start degrading when they are run at low charge. Not sure just what happens with Li-ion types, but I would not want to push it.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
You guys are right about the batteries and i was wrong. Further reading (at How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University and the comments after) seems to indicate slightly longer useful lifespan by recharging LI-ion at about 50% degree of discharge point and that they really don't mind being recharged at any dod. But, it seems the worse thing I am doing is probably keeping them in my hot garage! I'm considering bringing them into my house when not in use.

MowerMike

Threads
Here's another video, this time by an actual homeowner rather than some manufacturer salesman:

1932highboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought my twin force mower back in June. Absolutely love it. No problems,it cuts my lawn on the biggest battery.

dave-m

Forum Newbie
Threads
well I bought into the hype and picked one up today from Canadian Tire. I was lucky to find it just went on sale for $50 cheaper and comes with 2-4ah batteries

Assembly was, well, taking it out of the box and straightening the handle out. I put one battery on the charger and one in the mower. I have a small lawn, about 800 sqft in the back and 400 in the front. I mowed the rear with whatever charge was on the battery in the box. I then went in for dinner, came out and tossed the other battery in and did the front. I was immediately surprised at how quiet it was. Like about the same as a vacuum. I was very impressed. I handled my small lawns with no issue. The boulevard in front of my place has extremely thick grass and was a bit long. It cut no problem but the mulch was a bit clumpy. I had it set on #1 height and will likely put it at 2 for the next cut.

I formerly cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower, and with the small size of the yard it was more than adequate. What I didn't like was the uneven cut and wheel lines left from the reel mower. This Greenworks left me with the plush green carpet I've been wanting. Well worth the $$. Thanks to this forum for the great info. I had never even heard of Greenworks before finding this place.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Here's another video, this time by an actual homeowner rather than some manufacturer salesman:

Just want to point out a possibly misleading portion of the video. The mulch plug is not used with the bagging attachment.

Threads
well I bought into the hype and picked one up today from Canadian Tire. I was lucky to find it just went on sale for $50 cheaper and comes with 2-4ah batteries

Assembly was, well, taking it out of the box and straightening the handle out. I put one battery on the charger and one in the mower. I have a small lawn, about 800 sqft in the back and 400 in the front. I mowed the rear with whatever charge was on the battery in the box. I then went in for dinner, came out and tossed the other battery in and did the front. I was immediately surprised at how quiet it was. Like about the same as a vacuum. I was very impressed. I handled my small lawns with no issue. The boulevard in front of my place has extremely thick grass and was a bit long. It cut no problem but the mulch was a bit clumpy. I had it set on #1 height and will likely put it at 2 for the next cut.

I formerly cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower, and with the small size of the yard it was more than adequate. What I didn't like was the uneven cut and wheel lines left from the reel mower. This Greenworks left me with the plush green carpet I've been wanting. Well worth the $$. Thanks to this forum for the great info. I had never even heard of Greenworks before finding this place.

Glad you're happy with it! :thumbsup:

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did an online search using the blade part numbers and found a source for the blades. There are two separate blades, since one of them rotates in the opposite direction from the other one.

Blade part no. 33307486 (blade) >>> 33307486 - Greenworks Part 33307486 - Blade - GRN-33307486 - GREENWORKS

Blade part no. 33308486 (reverse blade) >>> 33308486 - Greenworks Part 33308486 - Reverse blade - GRN-33308486 - GREENWORKS

As you can see, they are a bit pricey @ $18.79 each, but at least you can be confident that they are available.

Those same links now show the price at $10.35 -- immensely more reasonable in price. For that price, I'd replace them every year and maybe just get them sharpened once/year.