LA120 Drip, drip, drip and lime-scale/calcium

Neo7

Threads
Hi Gents,

I recently picked up an LA120 on the cheap and I'm slowly restoring it. I notice there was a lot of tacky dirt on one side of the engine so when I cleaned it all up and ran the engine for a short time oil started to drip from one of the sump bolts. But this only happens while the engine is off and cooling. I tried tightening the bolt and the two either side of it. It drips a bit slower now but it's still going. So before I remove the engine and split the case I was wondering if anyone had any good tips I could try to stop this oil leak?

PB20130105_075312_zps7fe33d33.jpg

PB20130105_075256_zps675dbc20.jpg

I also have a 21HP Kohler Command which I'm rebuilding and I just bought a second hand block (non working engine) for that. The owner had already split the case but then left it all in the rain. There's some mild surface rust in one cylinders but I am more concern with how I can clean off all the lime-scale/calcium that's covering all if the outer case and cooling fins.....any ideas anyone? .... is this something I need to blast of?

PB20130104_180859_zps043d96ed.jpg

Many thanks.
Neo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dripping oil---- probably a bad pan gasket. What I would do is pull the engine and replace the gasket. The major cost will be your time, which in the long run will be worth it.

Block cleaning---- the scale you see is not lime/calcium, but aluminum oxidation, normal for an older aluminum block. Trying to remove it would be a waste of time and money. I would give it a good pressure washing (steam or hot bath if you can) with a good soap/degreaser. Dry as soon as you can with compressed air and wipe the cylinder with engine oil to stop corrosion until you are ready to reassemble.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kohler looks as if someone used it for a boat anchor. :laughing: You can test a small area for calcium / lime water residue with any of many acid cleaning products. Neutralize with common baking soda and rinse well. I'd probably fire up my sand blaster for that one.

Neo7

Threads
I think your right about the sea anchor SandburRanch :ashamed: ... And now I remember that the guy I bought this engine from lived near the coast line.

And Rivets its good to know exactly what it is now.... I think I'll try a high pressure wash first ... nothing to loose and everything to gain :smile:

All the best.
Neo7

Neo7

Threads
I've ended up brushing off the engine with hand brushes and pipe cleaner brushes and then gave it all a coat of WD40.

Here's the end result.... I think it's looking better?.... well good enough either way lol!

All the best.
Neo

20130110_121813_zps27bb2873.jpg

20130110_121902_zps19dc47de.jpg

Jhon

Threads
The Kohler looks as if someone used it for a boat anchor. :laughing: You can test a small area for calcium / lime water residue with any of many acid cleaning products. Neutralize with common baking soda and rinse well. I'd probably fire up my sand blaster for that one.

I could not tell one motor from another unless the name was stamped on it in big letters, but I have a LA-120 and I thought they all had Briggs and Stratton engines?

Neo7

Threads
I could not tell one motor from another unless the name was stamped on it in big letters, but I have a LA-120 and I thought they all had Briggs and Stratton engines?
Sorry I've confused everyone .... my fault :rolleyes:

The dripping is on my B&S Intek in my LA120.
The Ali corrosion is on my a Kolher Command engine that I'm in the process of rebuilding.... Don't ask me what for because all my mowers currently have good engines :laughing:

All the best.
Neo

Jhon

Threads
Sorry I've confused everyone .... my fault :rolleyes:

The dripping is on my B&S Intek in my LA120.
The Ali corrosion is on my a Kolher Command engine that I'm in the process of rebuilding.... Don't ask me what for because all my mowers currently have good engines :laughing:

All the best.
Neo

No one here was confused except me... And that's because I did not read the captions between the pictures until now. Sorry about that.

Neo7

Threads
No Worries Jhon :thumbsup:

mullins87

Threads
My parents have an LA120, it also had the very same oil leak. The gasket has slipped out between the two case halves. You will need a new pan gasket and crankshaft seal. The pan gasket is very simple, but the shaft seal can be a real bear and you may end up having to replace it two or three times to get it to seal. My local tech told me I was very lucky that I got it right the first time.