DIY solar-powered mower

macky

Threads
I just came from a website that gave instructions on how to attach a solar panel to one's battery-operated mower. A diode would later prevent the battery from discharging into the panel when the sun sets.

I think we can sum that up as "green" lawn mowing :) My only take on that is the price of solar panels. I wonder how much a 12-volt solar panel the size of 14-inch monitor cost. I also wonder if someone in this forum has toyed with this idea.

AndyMan

Threads
Never thought about it before, but what a great idea. We are out there in the sun anyway, so why not harvest some of the sun's energy and put it to good use.

(And I suppose in this case sun power is much more practical than wind power....) :rolleyes:

brucesdeere

Threads
That is cool. I have been pondering the idea of using solar power for a few things around here, mower was one of them. Can you post the link?

macky

Threads
Discussion about lawn mowers really interest me. But I'm bothered by the noise pollution and the air pollution. This is why "green" lawn mowing is something for the future. It can save money too.

Here's the link to the site: solar lawn mower

what-youll-need.jpg

hornet

Threads
It's an interesting idea, I assume it would generate enough power for a couple of hours, more than enough time to mow the lawn completely.

lizard

Threads
Once you have it sorted.......you just have to let it see some daylight........not locked in a Barn.........Lol:ashamed:

macky

Threads
Once you have it sorted.......you just have to let it see some daylight........not locked in a Barn.........Lol:ashamed:

Of course, of course :) The solar panel need to see some daylight. The design shown in the images above seems to suggest that the solar panel charges the battery even while operating. That is why there's a wire that connects the solar panel to the battery as you mow.

touree

Threads
Of course, of course :) The solar panel need to see some daylight. The design shown in the images above seems to suggest that the solar panel charges the battery even while operating. That is why there's a wire that connects the solar panel to the battery as you mow.

The idea of going green is a wonderful idea and I think it is time this is taken to the next step. If the mower gets charged as it operates that means it is least possible that energy will be stored, huh?

Again, this seems to suit the small lawns. Are there any solar-powered riding mowers?

macky

Threads
Again, this seems to suit the small lawns. Are there any solar-powered riding mowers?

The closest thing at this point to a solar-powered riding mower are the bump cars :) But, you see, why not explore that direction? It's almost the same principle with electric rails anyway.

It is no joke to store energy in a battery and then converting them to heavy-duty mechanical energy. But then again, innovation is constant. A megabyte of computer memory used to occupy a whole steel cabinet. Now, we're talking about gigabytes at in between one's fingers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are there any solar-powered riding mowers?

Like Macky said... store energy in a battery and then converting them to heavy-duty mechanical energy.

You could make a solar collector grid that would charge this...
Hustler Turf Products - Electric - ZEON

That would then be a solar powered ZTR rider... but it will most likely be much cheaper to plug it into the grid and pay for the electricity... :smile:KennyV