cub cadet 1440 issue

cubbrute1440

Threads
hi i have a cub cadet 1440 and I was plowing the other day and hit a block of ice. when this happen the motor lose power and wont run except for choke. In the air box their is an milky oil that spits up from the hose to the block. the carb still fills with fuel. I cleaned the carb and it still runs bad. please someone give some input could I have blown the motor or cracked the block

Last edited:

charlie_ope

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first thing I would check is for a sheared key on the flywheel.

cubbrute1440

Threads
fly wheel key is fine carb has been cleaned and compression is good

chance123

Threads
Check your oil for having water in it

cubbrute1440

Threads
oil is fine no water or fuel in it. I have 180 psi in both cylinders. people say there could be a bad base gasket but I don't have any oil leaking from the base. the carb was cleaned and it ran a little better. but its the low rpm that runs like crap still have oil spitting out of the breather a little. even tho I cleaned the carb could this still be causing it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
180 psi in a small engine cylinder sounds too high to me. Check the valve clearances. Your compression release system may not be working properly, in doing so, your engine cannot breath and get enough fuel into the cylinders. Can you explain how you did the compression test. That high reading has me confused.

cubbrute1440

Threads
got a small engine compression test and cranked it over for maybe 3 or 4 seconds and both cylinders had read the same

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you have both spark plugs out? In my opinion, with compression that high your engine is not able to breath and cannot get enough fuel into the cylinder to give you power. That's why it will only run under choke. You've never posted the engine model numbers, but if your engine stop abruptly when you hit that ice, you may have internal damage. Another indication of a compression problem, is oil being pushed out of the crankcase through the breather.

cubbrute1440

Threads
when I was plowing it didn't stall out it just loss power and had to run on choke. I did have one plug in at a time. it will run now with out choke but on low idol is when it acts up and choke helps it out

cubbrute1440

Threads
I also checked with cub cadet and there is no base gasket theirs a crank case gasket on the front and that is fine with no leaks could I have a bad intake gasket sucking in to much air