higher blade speed.....

honkie

Forum Newbie
Threads
What have y'all done to increase the blade speed on a snapper RER? I am thinking of replacing the stock 6 7/8" spindle pulley with a 3-4" pulley. Discuss.........

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What have y'all done to increase the blade speed on a snapper RER? I am thinking of replacing the stock 6 7/8" spindle pulley with a 3-4" pulley. Discuss.........
Before doing that you may want to consider calculating RPM, both what it now is and what such a drastic change would make. The formula - RPM x drive diameter divided by driven diameter. IIR blade tip speed velocity should be held down to around 19,000 feet/minute. Check that too.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Why? Have never thought the snapper blades where ever to slow

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

mullins87

Threads
If this is one of the older Snappers, then I agree the blade tip speed seems too slow. I do also agree that you should either find out or calculate your factory blade speed. The blade tip speed should stay below 19,000 fpm for safety reasons. Once you know your current blade tip speed, then calculate the percent difference between factory and 19,000 fpm. Take that percent difference and subtract it from 100 to get the relative size difference between the factory pulley and a new pulley. Multiply that number with the size of the factory pulley to get the new pulley size. If the new size falls between two available pulleys, then go with the larger one. Also, keep in mind if the new pulley is considerably smaller than the factory pulley, then your engine may not have enough hp to spin the blade at that new speed.