Liquid coming out of atv exhaust

D2hornets58

Threads
I have a 2003 Suzuki LT160 quadrunner atv. I had it idling for about 20 mins today. After 20 mins I went out to shut it off and noticed that there was a liquid slowly spraying out of the exhaust. When i reved the engine it would kind of come out in a mist. If i put my hand in front of it, after a couple seconds my hand would be wet. It kind of looked like oil by the color but seemed much more like water. I also just changed the oil about two weeks ago and havnt really ridden it since then. I know this isnt an atv forum but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any idea what this might be.
Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you smell it or taste it to see if it was just water from condensation ?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

D2hornets58

Threads
Ya it didnt smell like oil. It kind of has like a burnt smell to it. I thought it was condensation but wasnt sure because it isnt clear and more like the color of oil. It almost looks like a mix of water and oil.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be water mixed with carbon build up in the muffler. It is air cooled?

D2hornets58

Threads
Carscw said:
Could be water mixed with carbon build up in the muffler. It is air cooled?

ya it is air cooled.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If my memory is still worth a dime, this is a liquid cooled unit, and I suspect that you have a coolant leak in the engine.

D2hornets58

Threads
Rivets said:
If my memory is still worth a dime, this is a liquid cooled unit, and I suspect that you have a coolant leak in the engine.

no it's an air cooled engine not liquid cooled.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, I would run the unit a a slow speed, just off idle, and see if it clears up. Carscw may be correct about carbon and water in the muffler. Also, you might want to check if you have water in the fuel tank.

D2hornets58

Threads
Rivets said:
Thanks, I would run the unit a a slow speed, just off idle, and see if it clears up. Carscw may be correct about carbon and water in the muffler. Also, you might want to check if you have water in the fuel tank.

ok thanks...I was holding the gas steady earlier and it didn't clear up. Also after I shut it off I looked into the oil window and it was at the correct level. But in the empty space above the oil it looked white. I don't know what it was. Didn't really look like smoke but could have been. When I shut it off the exhaust was smoking a little for a couple seconds too.

D2hornets58

Threads

I will run it holding the throttle a little tomorrow for a while and see it clears up. Do you think this could be a serious problem or just something small/nothing? Thanks for the help.