Blades Major trouble removing blades

skizzot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a set of blades for my Cub Cadet Z-Force 44" and have run into problems removing the old blades. The three blades are each bolted on by a 1-1/8 nut. I have attempted to remove them with an impact wrench, socket and pry par, socket - pry bar - sludge hammer combo, torch, solvents, and praying. I cannot get a single nut to rotate and looking at the threads as well as the manual, they are common threaded nuts which left turning "should" loosen. Any suggestions? It's hard to even get a bite to wedge the blades stationery on this thing.

THANKS!

metz12

Threads
So you said you used a torch. what i would do is get some penetrating pb blaster, and soak them in that and let it sit for an hour or so. then try it again, if that doesnt work then i would say find some way to cut the bolts off.

metz12

Threads
And another thing, when you get those bolts off, buy some never seize or anti-seize, its like a silver bottle, i know you can get it at most automotive places like advanced auto, but i know for sure they have it at napa. that will solve your problems in the future.

skizzot

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you said you used a torch. what i would do is get some penetrating pb blaster, and soak them in that and let it sit for an hour or so. then try it again, if that doesnt work then i would say find some way to cut the bolts off.

I used the torch to the point that the bearing grease started to boil and smoke, so I backed off. I have broken through welds with less effort than I have been applying to this thing and not a single nut will turn. I put the impact on it for over 5 minutes without it budging.

mullins87

Threads
Make certain they are not left handed threads.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used the torch to the point that the bearing grease started to boil and smoke, so I backed off. I have broken through welds with less effort than I have been applying to this thing and not a single nut will turn. I put the impact on it for over 5 minutes without it budging.

I am not familiar with your set up, but...does the deck come off? if so remove it and turn the nut upside so penetrating oil can soak overnight without running off. If the deck is upright can you partially hack saw one flat without damaging shaft threads, then strike hacksaw cut with cold chisel?

I know how tough this one must be, but if you have heated up the whole assembly you missed the advantage of heating only the nut so it expands away from the bolt. :thumbsup:

skizzot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not familiar with your set up, but...does the deck come off? if so remove it and turn the nut upside so penetrating oil can soak overnight without running off. If the deck is upright can you partially hack saw one flat without damaging shaft threads, then strike hacksaw cut with cold chisel?

I know how tough this one must be, but if you have heated up the whole assembly you missed the advantage of heating only the nut so it expands away from the bolt. :thumbsup:

The deck is off and upside down. I did only heat the nut whereas the purpose of heating is for expansion and you want the nut to expand off the bolt threads....thus only what the bolt is going through is ever heated when using a torch. Penetrating oil has soaked all day, they are right hand nuts, and I don't want to have to replace the expensive assemblies because old blades are stuck to mine. I would consider replacing the shafts if I could get those off. A cold chisel would have about the same effect as the impact I am using as well as the rotary hammer I put on it. I have a garage full of tools and nothing is working. I just can't believe all three nuts won't turn. I talked to my buddy who owns a lawn service and uses cubs and he had no advice other than what I've tried. I may find a way to strap the deck down and attach an aerial winch to the breaker bar to see if 10,000 pounds of force will do anything (That's what we hoist the alligators up with)

There is one more catch....blocking the blades with a 2x4 does no good whereas the center hole of the blades are round (not star). Therefore they just spin when torque is applied to the nut. It's rather difficult to get a wrench on one side and put everything I have into trying to get the other side off.

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The deck is off and upside down. I did only heat the nut whereas the purpose of heating is for expansion and you want the nut to expand off the bolt threads....thus only what the bolt is going through is ever heated when using a torch. Penetrating oil has soaked all day, they are right hand nuts, and I don't want to have to replace the expensive assemblies because old blades are stuck to mine. I would consider replacing the shafts if I could get those off. A cold chisel would have about the same effect as the impact I am using as well as the rotary hammer I put on it. I have a garage full of tools and nothing is working. I just can't believe all three nuts won't turn. I talked to my buddy who owns a lawn service and uses cubs and he had no advice other than what I've tried. I may find a way to strap the deck down and attach an aerial winch to the breaker bar to see if 10,000 pounds of force will do anything (That's what we hoist the alligators up with)

There is one more catch....blocking the blades with a 2x4 does no good whereas the center hole of the blades are round (not star). Therefore they just spin when torque is applied to the nut. It's rather difficult to get a wrench on one side and put everything I have into trying to get the other side off.
Sounds like you'd be ok with replacing the ?spindles? Can the spindle/blade/nut be driven out from the top with deletion of e.g. rivets? Put another way just save the deck? Also the cold chisel idea was to just break thru the nut flat to the threads so to "peel" away the nut from the threaded shaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A trick taught to me by a farmer forty years ago might work for you. I have a mixture of 50% anti-freeze and 50% kerosene. Soak a rag in it and lay it on each nut for 24 hours. Have seen this work on equipment that has been sitting for way to many years. To hold the spindle, take a piece of rope (as small a diameter you can find) and wrap it in the pulley as many times as you can, in the opposite direction, leaving an end that you can tie off. If you get it right the shaft will not turn.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Being the blade just spins and it does no good to hold it, the nut threads are basically loose so there is some other problem.

I only have a red neck impact that consists of a 2x4 of various lengths for the task at hand but I've never seen it fail in conjunction with a good off set box wrench or a breaker bar. I would use my 3 ft. 2x4 for this job and swing it like the late Mickey Mantle was killing one of your alligators. Wear safety equipment like a atheletic cup and a good motor cycle helmet if it makes you feel better.

If that should fail, I'd be taking my angle grinder and grinding one nut flat down until threads are almost visible and it will come off.