Ignition problem LX277

cuda6768

Forum Newbie
Threads
when you turn on ignition key starter engages

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, my ESP is down, due to Thursdays blizzard. Satillite reception has been knocked out. We are going to need a lot more info from you, if you want some help. Here are some questions we need answers for.

Engine model and serial numbers?
Unit model and serial numbers?
Explain what info you want from us?
What have you checked so far?
Remember, you are our eyes, ears and fingers, so be as specific as possible.

cuda6768

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, my ESP is down, due to Thursdays blizzard. Satillite reception has been knocked out. We are going to need a lot more info from you, if you want some help. Here are some questions we need answers for.

Engine model and serial numbers?
Unit model and serial numbers?
Explain what info you want from us?
What have you checked so far?
Remember, you are our eyes, ears and fingers, so be as specific as possible.

John Deere LX 277 two wheel steer
Ser#MOL277H072493
17 HP Kawasaki V Twin K series
EH500v_B511
Ser# H500VC08103

When you turn on ignition switch the starter engages. Motor will Crank but starter still runs. Can not find any shorts in wireing . Purchased new switch and board and it still does the same thing. HELP

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, more questions. Did this problem occur before you installed a new switch? What do you mean by board? Does the engine start? Do you turn the key switch to the ON or START position when the engine starts cranking? If it starts cranking in the ON position, it will be one of two things. You either have the wrong switch (this can easily happen) or the wiring on the back of the switch is wrong. If it starts cranking in the start position, that is good, but then I assume that if you let go of the key, the starter continues to crank. If this is the case, you may have a bad solenoid. I have seen solenoids which will not disengage the energizing circuit, even though there is no power going through it, due to internal corrosion. Have you checked that both key switches are the same, both in position of the terminals and labeling of each terminal. Many inexperienced counterman, mechanics, and DIY's don't know that there are many key switches that look the same, but are wired completely different.

cuda6768

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK you must not know much about John Deere. The Switch is soldered to a board that has wires going to the Ignition Interlock Circuit board AS I have already posted . Thanks for trying to help but you are more lostthan I am

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I couldn't help you out. Guess 30+ years of working in the industry hasn't taught me everything. Nor has JD update school. Good Luck with your problem.

cuda6768

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have worked in the industry for 41 years. Some time we are a little cocke. I assumed you look up a lx277 and study a little before you ask questions.ON IS ON start is start. And if solenoid was stuck the starter would run with the switch off. With that said I figured it out on my own Thanks anyway

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On this forum you don't know the posters background. I have found that it is easier to ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake. With electrical problems I never assume anything, as that can get you in trouble quickly. I have also seen the solenoid stick on JD's caused by a shorted relay on the board. Happy Holidays!

Gumboro 3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have worked in the industry for 41 years. Some time we are a little cocke. I assumed you look up a lx277 and study a little before you ask questions.ON IS ON start is start. And if solenoid was stuck the starter would run with the switch off. With that said I figured it out on my own Thanks anyway

Having the same problem what did you find was the problem Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I came here a little too late...! but it would be nice to know the ANSWER, so why not tell us, it would help others on here.:licking: