Ignition problem LX277

mullins87

Threads
Yes, there is a circuit board attached to the ignition switch. I really don't understand why, but I haven't bothered to try either. I'm going with the suggestion the solenoid has "stuck" in the closed position, which will continue to send power to the starter even when the key is released or even turned off.

snapsstorer

Threads
i am working on a JD 262 that has a switch similar to the one described. problem i am having is to get the starter to engage. also not getting any spark to the plug. i can jump the starter and it cranks, but will not start. just curious if this may mean that the switch is bad???. i check the wiring up to the circuit broad and none of them are bad. the previous owner said they had to fiddle around with the wires going to the circuit board, and they were able to get it to start. i tried it, and no such luck. please let me know what you thank:ashamed::mur::smiley_aafz:

mullins87

Threads
Like I state above, I really haven't looked at that circuit board to see exactly what it does. However, sounds to me like you have a short either on the board or at a connector. I'd take it off and go over it with a fine tooth comb, looking for cracks in the solder.

John Deere 17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a John Deere LX277. it is 17 years old and ran until today. No previous issues with ignition switch. Okay, with that said, here I go. There are three stages to the ignition switch on the LX277. Off, On, Start..After cranking, release key, and it automatically returns to on position. NOW, when turning the ignition key from OFF to ON, engine starts turning over. Again, engine starts when turning key from OFF to ON position, and not from ON to START. This should not happen. Does anyone have experience with this issue and if so, if you were able to correct it, how did you do it? New Ignition Switch and Board?

Thanks,

JH

mjb8fj

Threads
Sorry, my ESP is down, due to Thursdays blizzard. Satillite reception has been knocked out. We are going to need a lot more info from you, if you want some help. Here are some questions we need answers for.

Engine model and serial numbers?
Unit model and serial numbers?
Explain what info you want from us?
What have you checked so far?
Remember, you are our eyes, ears and fingers, so be as specific as possible.

LOL:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also have a John Deere LX277. it is 17 years old and ran until today. No previous issues with ignition switch. Okay, with that said, here I go. There are three stages to the ignition switch on the LX277. Off, On, Start..After cranking, release key, and it automatically returns to on position. NOW, when turning the ignition key from OFF to ON, engine starts turning over. Again, engine starts when turning key from OFF to ON position, and not from ON to START. This should not happen. Does anyone have experience with this issue and if so, if you were able to correct it, how did you do it? New Ignition Switch and Board?

Thanks,

JH

Replace the switch.
If that is not the problem buy the JD service manual for your mower they have step by step proceedures for checking the wiring that people who are challenged working out which end of a screwdriver to hold can follow.