What do you think

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a situation to think about? What if somebody breaks into your home at 1 AM with some sort of a weapon, what do you do? Probably call the police. OK, now think about this, The police are 45 minutes away, maybe only have one officer on duty to cover 1000 square miles. Now how do you defend yourself while you wait for the police to show up.

Comes back to the staying that, When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

That was one of the things that was talked about by the NRA's Pres. Wayne LaPierre when he talk about school personnel being issued weapons permits. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Would you
rather have your 911 call bring a good guy with a gun from a mile away or a minute away. Defend Yourself.

Last edited:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
This young man entered the school with several weapons, 1 of which was an AR-15 rifle, the others were 9mm semi auto handguns. All of the weapons were purchased by his mother then stolen from her and in fact, used to kill her.
What puzzles me is the focus of the gun issue seems to be on the semi auto "military style" weapon, and large capacity magazines.
It seems to me that if you were the type that wanted to "do harm" to large numbers of innocents, all of the above weapons would be a "poor choice". You don't hear of terrorists using hand guns, or even small arms, they use explosives or airplanes.
If that nutcase in Connecticut had had a purposefully equipped shot gun, one that could be easily obtained and modified, the body count would have been much higher, yet we don't see anyone discussing laws controlling same.
Could it be that our government is not concerned about protecting it's citizens against it's citizens as much as it is about disarming it's population?
I guess where I'm going with this is, this particular incident could not have been avoided and will not be prevented with the proposed gun control laws that I've heard of as of late.
Now granted, this is not the only incident over the past few years. But as I recall, all of the recent incidents where the perpetrator kills many, then kills himself, or the James Holmes (Denver) shootings, were at close range, not anywhere near the range the 5.56 cartridge was deigned to operate in. Yet our leaders tend to focus on this weapon when considering gun control.
This weapon is labeled unnecessary, or overkill. I hear people saying " I can't see how anyone would need an assault rifle".
My response is "Just because you can't see the need doesn't mean we aren't quickly approaching a place where it (the need) will become apparent".
Although this place doesn't concern me as much as it does some, furthermore I don't own an AR rifle, or any assault style rifle, or any military style weapons for that matter. But I do respect those who feel it's a good idea to have one or more in their collection and I believe that it is exactly what the second amendment was intended for.
I believe you have the right to protect yourself and your loved ones on your property.
There was a time in this country when you could form your own militia, and it was only a a couple of hundred years ago. Now we are expected to be totally dependent on the governments ( Local state and federal) for our protection. So look how far we've come and look where we are going....
What does concern me is, why there are those in our government who seem pre-occupied with getting these weapons to a place that is off limits to civilians. These weapons, the weapons used to defend a country.
If you think I'm "off the wall" here. I would answer by asking you to look into the sale of these "assault rifles" and the relevant ammo over the past ten years and over the past ten days.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could it be that our government is not concerned about protecting it's citizens against it's citizens as much as it is about disarming it's population?

My response is "Just because you can't see the need doesn't mean we aren't quickly approaching a place where it (the need) will become apparent".

I believe you have the right to protect yourself and your loved ones on your property.

What does concern me is, why there are those in our government who seem pre-occupied with getting these weapons to place that is off limits to civilians. These weapons, the weapons used to defend a country.

Robert, you are right on the target with your comments and I could not agree with you any more than I already do. Once they disarm us then they can have their will with us. I wish to be a free man, not a slave to the government.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
Thomas Jefferson

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
America is one hell of a scary place!!!
You just stay right where you're comfortable.
We will be fine without you here in "The land of the Free and the home of the Brave"
If it wasn't for this "place" you would be speaking German :eek:

I think bagpipes are scary :rolleyes:

Do you have a plaid skirt?

Last edited:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You just stay right where your comfortable.
We will be fine without you here in "The land of the Free and the home of the Brave"
If it wasn't for this "place" you would be speaking German :eek:

I think bagpipes are scary :rolleyes:

Do you have a plaid skirt?

I am a lowland scot (not far from Lockerbie) so dont wear kilts but troos which is tartan trousers.
The wierdo highlanders or Teucher are scandanaivian who brought the skirts.
Bagpipes are fantastic instrument but since there is no trigger you wouldnt understand.
As for the German probably if no European colony then you would all maybe be using bow and arrows
:laughing: happy days

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
dont wear kilts but troos which is tartan trousers.
troos.....kilts..... I don't care

I am a lowland scot (not far from Lockerbie)
Like I said....I don't care

Bagpipes are fantastic instrument
Fantastic.......a subjective term.

there is no trigger you wouldnt understand
They no doubt left the trigger off for good reason..... Scots like you would be shootin yer toes off. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
This young man entered the school with several weapons, 1 of which was an AR-15 rifle, the others were 9mm semi auto handguns. All of the weapons were purchased by his mother then stolen from her and in fact, used to kill her.
Yeah they were purchased by his mother, but to say were stolen, what's to say that he didn't have access to the guns to go to the range after all he was twenty years old.

What puzzles me is the focus of the gun issue seems to be on the semi auto "military style" weapon, and large capacity magazines.
It seems to me that if you were the type that wanted to "do harm" to large numbers of innocents, all of the above weapons would be a "poor choice". You don't hear of terrorists using hand guns, or even small arms, they use explosives or airplanes.
Why would it puzzle you that the focus of the gun issue seems to be on the semi auto "military style" weapon, and large capacity magazines after all that is what has been used in all these mass killings and I think you'll find the majority of people believe they shouldn't be available to the public. To say that you don't hear of terrorists using hand guns, or even small arms, they use explosives only strengthens the point of the availability of the assault weapon ( the perpetrators of theses mass killing don't use explosives because there not available.) As you say these are military style" weapons. These weapons should be used to defend the country by military personnel and that's who should have access not the public.

this particular incident could not have been avoided and will not be prevented with the proposed gun control laws
I agree that this particular incident could not have been avoided and will not be prevented in the future with the proposed gun control laws, all we can hope is that it slows it down.

You Quote the second amendment and its intention for giving you the right to have and to bear arms and protect yourself and your loved ones on your property, and that it does and it doesn't say what weapons you can have does it? I totally agree with it no problem but I also know that when it the second amendment was drafted they had No Idea of the weapons we would have access to today.

If you think I'm "off the wall" here. I would answer by asking you to look into the sale of these "assault rifles" and the relevant ammo over the past ten years and over the past ten days.
Yea it's called PANIC. :eek: Everybody's in fear of losing there gun rights, there going to take our guns away (Please) That will never happen and no body's saying any such thing. The thing is what is happening that there some stores Like Dick's Sporting Goods that have pulled all there assault rifles off the shelves and will no longer take part in selling those type of weapons and I think you'll find there will be others that will follow, they didn't need the Government to say there banned to take what they saw as the appropriate action.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...e-in-schools-is-crazy-then-call-me-crazy?lite

Last edited: