Cub cadet 2206 PTO not engaging

mach158

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub cadet 2206, unknown what year because I can't seem to locate that info on the tractor but anyway while I was mowing a few days ago the pto shut off and the deck stopped. I was mowing in some tall grass (approx 8-10") but was taking it slow and it was a very small section.

Now when I pull the electric PTO engage switch to try and engage the PTO, it does nothing. The safety switch on my seat is not the culprit because it has never worked.

Is their anyway to test the switch itself or the relay? I tried unplugging the relay but it didnt seem to want to come out so before I broke anything I wanted to see some possible ideas to the problem. I'm just hoping the clutch didnt go out which is a $200 fix just in parts.

murphy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mach158, if you have a voltage tester unplug connector at clutch assembly and test there. If your machine has more then one relay of the same try swapping to see if that will do it. If you do not have either source, you can make a wire up, with fuse protection and jump past safetys and or relays to see if clutch takes hold. That can also be done with engine off. If clutch takes a hold that way, you know problem is before hand of the clutch. When jumping past by hookin direct do it with engine off, you should hear a thud, and or try turning by hand afterwards.

mach158

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks and not sure why I didnt think of that but anyway tested the wires at the clutch and it peaks at 1.8 volts when i pull the switch on and then its slowly drops down to zero. Havent done any testing to see if its the switch or the relay but both are pretty cheap so I will probably end up replacing both.

littlesteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks and not sure why I didnt think of that but anyway tested the wires at the clutch and it peaks at 1.8 volts when i pull the switch on and then its slowly drops down to zero. Havent done any testing to see if its the switch or the relay but both are pretty cheap so I will probably end up replacing both.

Before you replace parts make sure what's wrong. Was the pto still connected electrically when you checed voltage? If it was then the electrical coil in the pto could be shorted to ground. If it is the voltage would read just as you saw. Try disconnecting the pto and take your voltage readings again on the feed wires to the pto. If the voltage comes up to normal (12volts) then the pto is bad. You can veriify that by taking an ohm reading on the pto coil. If it reads 0 between the two wires off the pto then coil is bad. If you read between the wires and metal casing on the pto and read 0 ohms or close to it the pto is bad. If those readings are good then your problem is further back in the circuit. Rplacing parts can get very expensive.

Boit4852

Threads
Not sure if this helps, but here goes. Your problem happened to me twice on my Exmark ZTR. Both times the black ground wire broke off flush at the clutch connection. The first time was under warranty and my excellent dealer allowed me to bring in the bad clutch and swapped it for the new one since I like to do mechanicals myself. I'm very fussy about my machines. Anyway, I could easily tell that the wire broke off because the harness at the clutch was NOT properly supported and the back and forth motion cause the wire to break. I supported the new clutch harness with 3 extra zip-ties. That fix lasted 3 years and happened again. Ground wire broke off flush at the clutch connector again. I found some weatherproof heavy duty connectors online and made my own harness and added even more zip-ties for better support. Hopefully, this will fix this problem forever. Now I have a replacement clutch ready to go if the clutch actually goes bad. Good luck to you and please post what you found to be the problem.

Last edited:

pitbull

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have about the same problem with my clutch not working. I have check the plug at the pto and it is getting around 14 volts with the engine running. Now i have a cheaper tester and i think the ohms is the same as the symbol of a horse shoe (sort of). The pto tests at around 7 ohms at the plugs, but it still will not engage.